Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

tecumseh snow king electric start removal and install

10-31-09, 09:44 AM   #1  
tecumseh snow king electric start removal and install

Hi folks,

I have a 8 HP Canadian Murray Snow thrower, powered by a tecumseh snow king snow thrower (model HMSK80-110).

Recently, the electric start has stopped engaging. when i push the red button, the electric motor engages, but it doesnt turn the gas engine over, i hear a kind of grinding instead. I was wondering if anyone has had the same type of issue? If this is a situation where i have to replace the starter, does anyone have experience replacing it? I am a newbie at this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Scott

Sponsored Links

TN

10-31-09, 09:56 AM   #2  
Section 6 of the manual linked below covers the starter. The teeth on starter gear may be stripped.

http://toprake.com/index.php?module=...&JAS_File_id=2

NJ

11-03-09, 03:03 PM   #3  
Definitely follow Airmans suggestion to refer to the manual on trouble shooting the starter. I have similar problem with my Tecumseh OVRM120 w/electric start, but there is no grinding. The pinion gear on the starter sticks and does not engage the flywheel. What I found is I have to lube it often between the pinion gear and starter shaft . You might give this a try.

Search this Thread