Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

craftsman snowblower goes in reverse

11-01-09, 06:39 AM   #1  
craftsman snowblower goes in reverse

I recently bought a craftsman snowblower. Model #536882500. I got it off of craigslist and did not get a whole bunch if information about it. It seems that their is a problem with the transmission. When I put it in reverse It goes forward.
And when I try to go forward It runs in reverse. I am wondering where I should start In trying to fix this thing.

Thanx.

Sponsored Links

TN

11-04-09, 09:39 AM   #2  
Hi .......smitty, there are two things that could be wrong, the most likely one first: Here is how I would handle this

1. Drain the oil from the engine
2. I would also drain the gasoline from the tank
3. Set the snowblower on it`s head, that is lift up on the handlebars and stand it on the chute where the augers are.
4. Remove the bottom pan, usually held by 4 or sometimes 6 screws.

That will give you access to the inside where the transmission is. You will see a chaindrive and a steel flywheel. Also the drive pulley (the one with the rubber on it`s perameter.)

It most likely that the pulley was installed on the wrong side of the flywheel. Work the shiftlever and you will see what I mean. You may have to loosen the driveshaft to position the drivepulley on the other side of center at the flywheel.

Sounds complicated, but when you look at it you`ll know what I mean.

The second possibility is that the crank-rod was installed facing the wrong way, but that`s not very likely, because the shifting rod would then be either too long or too short.

Give it a try, and good luck

Search this Thread