Husqvarna 445 18" Chainsaw Problems

Old 11-02-09, 08:40 AM
Exclamation Husqvarna 445 18" Chainsaw Problems

I have a Husqvarna 445 18" chainsaw that has been used to the extent that I have only filled the gas tank 2.5 times since buying it new at Lowe's last December 2008. Yes, I keep the bar chain oil filled and lube the sprocket tip regularly.

The chain constantly tightens and jams the front sprocket. I have lubed and adjusted the chain per the manual to no avail. I have even run the chain looser than I feel comfortable with but inevitably, it will tighten and jam. This has already fried the sprocket on one bar and I had to purchase a replacement. I remove the clutch cover, clean everything out, put the cover back, hand tighten the nut, adjust the chain tensioner and then tighten the cover nut. The thing will run and cut for about 5-10 minutes, tighten up and eventually the chain will simply stop spinning.

Yesterday I was in the process of cutting down about a 12" diameter maple near the front of our property and near the road. I made the directional cut, made the felling cut about 2 inches above the directional cut and at that time a gust of wind tipped the tree back and jammed the saw. I had to carefully use a wedge to free the saw but then the tree was hung up in the tree next to it. So, now I have a tree that is about to go over and even though my saw is now free, the chain is again jammed. I retreat to a safe place and attempt to remove the clutch cover. It won't come off after I remove the nut. I finally get it off, free up the chain and the sprocket, but now I can't get the cover back on because the band will not seat over the drum. I try and try, to no avail. So, now I have a tree in a precarious position and no saw. I end up having to call a tree service out on an emergency call (it was Sunday) and it costs me $300 for them to take the tree down safely before it got blown in the wrong direction and fell into the road and possibly injured someone.

What the heck is up with this saw??? I fairly mechanically inclined but this chainsaw is complete garbage. It has been a pain in the you know what since I bought it. I thought Husqvarna was THE chainsaw to buy and own?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-09, 08:44 AM
Oh yes, in addition, as I cannot get the clutch cover back on, I am taking the thing to my local Husqvarna dealer today to have them fix it. This tool is too dangerous for me to keep messing with it...of course, this will cost me even MORE money. Gee, and I thought I was saving myself $$$ by buying a chainsaw and doing the work myself. What a nightmare!

Old 11-02-09, 10:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The band won't fit over the clutch drum because the chain brake has been activated. Push the chain brake bar back forwards until it locks in the forward position. The chain tightening is strange. Are you sure you're tightening the bar nuts sufficiently?

Old 11-03-09, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
The band won't fit over the clutch drum because the chain brake has been activated. Push the chain brake bar back forwards until it locks in the forward position. The chain tightening is strange. Are you sure you're tightening the bar nuts sufficiently?
Yeah, got schooled on that from the woman at the local Husqvarna dealer. Actually, you have to place the cover back on and firmly press down on where the chain break gear connects to the gear on the cover and then push the chain brake forwards and then back to hear it click. Of course, the manual doesn't cover that. Ah well, felt like an idiot nonetheless.

As far as the chain tightening, yes, I am sure that after adjusting the chain tension using the tension screw I am tightening the nut. I left it at the dealer so they could look at it as I have already fried a sprocket on one chain bar and don't want to do it again.

I NEVER had these issues with my old McCulloch. That bad boy always worked like a champ. This Husqvarna is a right pain in the you know what. This thing is really finicky and is causing me more problems than I have ever experienced with a chainsaw. Is there some special secret to these chainsaws? What the heck am I missing???

Old 11-03-09, 11:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No special secret. I have a husqvarna 61 from probably around 1985 that still runs and cuts like a new one. It's a beast. I like husqvarna products, especially the saws. Them and Stihl are my two favorite picks for saws. Maybe yours is defective? I'd be interested to hear what the verdict is for the tightening chain if you don't mind posting an update with the shops' findings when you get it back!

Old 11-04-09, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
No special secret. I have a husqvarna 61 from probably around 1985 that still runs and cuts like a new one. It's a beast. I like husqvarna products, especially the saws. Them and Stihl are my two favorite picks for saws. Maybe yours is defective? I'd be interested to hear what the verdict is for the tightening chain if you don't mind posting an update with the shops' findings when you get it back!
Yes, I will definitely post something once they have a look and I get it back. I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined (heck, just added an 18 gal. aux. tank via an impulse pump to my 7,000W generator thanks to this forum) and this thing has me baffled. Well, really annoyed and baffled.

Old 11-05-09, 05:55 AM
I can't think of anything other than if the chain isn't sharp enough & making dust, the dust mixes with the chain oil & plugs up or takes up the space on the sprocket where the chain should be riding??? Just grasping @ straws here... Let us know as a chain tightening it self is strange & I`d like to know the cause..... Roger

Old 10-04-10, 04:51 PM
Were you ever able to solve the problem with your saw? I have the same model and I just bought another bar for it. The new one has already locked up on me. I suspect the oil pump is not delivering enough oil to the bar. I'm just wondering if you had any success with yours.

Bob

Old 11-05-13, 05:07 PM
Thumbs up Im a lil late to the party but for those who will reference this in the future

Ive repaired several saws with this problem. The drive gear on the clutch drum is worn. As you run the saw the chain drive teeth ate into the gear and now it wont keep the chain at the same length pulling the chain tighter as the teeth walk up the drive gear. IDK how it wore in 2.5 tanks of gas but willing to bet you need a $15 clutch drum & sprocket, Id also replace the chain as it is surely damaged also. Maybe the wrong chain or it was put on backwards accidently & wore the gear prematurely? It is an easy DIY. Pull the spark plug, stick a piece of rope in the spark plug hole & turn the engine backwards, CCW till it stops. Then use a large open end wrench or clutch tool that fits in the 2 clutch openings, about a 1 inch or 28mm wrench and give it a good turn backwards. You may need a cresent adj. wrench for leverage. REMEMBER IT IS REVERSE THREAD!! Spin it off and replace with new. Reverse directions to finish the job. You dont need to tighten it alot, it will self tighten itself when your using it. Once you've done it once, you will be able to do this in the future in just a few minutes. If your saw has a few years on it, you may want to pick up a new clutch bearing, bar oil pump and gear, they are behind the clutch, $10 and good preventative mantainance since you got that area opened up.