Broken Oil Drain HELP!

Old 11-02-09, 05:24 PM
Broken Oil Drain HELP!

I just spent 3 days working on my snowblower, new fuel hoses, carb cleaned, etc. .I went to change the oil tonight and the 4 inch tube that sticks out of the back of the machine (oil drain) broke off at the engine. Now I have no way of getting the remaining piece out of there. There is another possible drain site on the another side of the engine (see pic), however that doesn't help me as to how and block up the other hole. I assume my next step is to take it to a repair shop, however I am afraid of what the bill will be.
Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-09, 05:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is it small enough to fit a hacksaw blade inside it? If so, cut it on one side, then the other, so that 2 half moon shaped pieces fall out. Be sure to clear the sawdust before reassembling it. Use teflon tape on the pipe to fill the voids and keep it from leaking.

Old 11-02-09, 06:23 PM
I'm just afraid to get metal shavings inside the oil pan if i use a saw.

Old 11-03-09, 11:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Put an air hose in the oil fill and allow it to blow air through the engine and out the drain hole while you cut to keep the shavings moving out of the engine rather than in. Then stick a strong magnet to a screwdriver and put the screwdriver through the hole and move it around so as to pick up any random shavings that may be left (probably won't be). You should be fine.