Briggs Twin II reliabilty

Old 11-06-09, 07:24 PM
Briggs Twin II reliabilty

I'm wondering if anyone has any information on how long on average a Briggs Twin II engine is good for until it starts to need internal engine repair. I have a 10 yo 17hp L head that seems to be running good but wonder how long it will last. Its had more regular oil changes and air filter cleanings than the manual calls for over the years.

Also, how do the manufacturers stack up against each other as far as reliability? Briggs, Kohler, Kawasaki, Honda?

My Twin II: Mod 42E707 Type 2631E1 Code 9903155A

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-09, 05:17 AM
I have never seen anything written concerning engine life from Briggs and Stratton. I have seen low-end B&S engines that are still in use and over 40 years old, in fact I own one. Mine is on a water pump that sees about 5 to 10 hours use in my vegetable garden most years.

You already know the key to a long engine life, fresh oil and clean air filter. Most people DO NOT take proper care of the engine on their equipment.

You cannot say one brand is better than another is. B&S gets a bad name simply because they produce more engines than anyone else does. They make over a million engines a year. Many, if not most, of these engines are low-end engines.

People purchase a push mower for less than $150.00 with a low-end B&S engine. They use it for three summers never change the oil, clean the air filter or add fuel stabilizer. The next season it will not start. They bring it to me and I hear how B&S is not dependable.

Here is the key to determining the quality level of a B&S engine.
http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/mi...n%20System.pdf

Old 11-07-09, 05:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As far as stacking up in reliability, I say in general Kawasaki and Honda are at the top of the list, then Kohler, then Briggs, except for the japanese made Briggs Vanguards which are nearly bullet-proof. Most people in the trade will agree.

Old 11-07-09, 06:42 PM
Thanks guys, I kind of figured Kaw and Honda might be on top. Wasn't aware that there were some Japan made Briggs, Briggs has a factory there? How can you tell if a Vanguard is a Japanese built one?

Old 11-08-09, 09:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As far as I know, all the V-twin vanguards are Japanese built, some by daihatsu and some by mitsubishi. There were some single cylinder engines also, but many of those singles with the vanguard name were just regular briggs engines with the name stuck on them.

Search this Thread