Craftsman dyt 2000

Old 11-07-09, 02:15 PM
Craftsman dyt 2000

Ran into a problem with my craftsman riding mower this afternoon. Was bagging leaves for what was to be the last time this year when the blades wouldn't turn after emptying the bagger. I could drive across the yard and they would eventually turn on. That worked for a while until I turned on the blades a couple of times later after having emptied the bagger and the mower then started to shut off as if I had gotten off the seat while the blades were turning. One other piece of info that may be a factor is that the battery was dead and I had to jumpstart the mower whne I began this afternoon. Hadn't thought that I would get a new battery right now, though, since it'll just sit all winter.

Thoughts?

Thanks, John

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-09, 03:43 PM
John
Yes replace the battery, the clutch that drives the deck will not work without a good battery and good charging system.
You need to check the charging system after you install the new battery to make sure its charging the new battery. I have in the past use a trickle/ floating charger that wont over charge the battery on my mowers. That kept the battery topped off regardless of how much it was run.

Old 11-07-09, 04:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Got a model # for the mower? I assume this has an electric PTO?

Old 11-08-09, 05:51 AM
The model no. is 917.275670, which has the electronic PTO.

Old 11-08-09, 09:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Was the battery dead again when the blades quit? If so, the battery is the problem.

Old 11-11-09, 09:04 AM
Thanks, Cheese.

I'm glad that that seems to be the problem, but was thrown off by the fact that the mower worked fine when I first jumped it but failed an hour or so later. I'll wait until spring before I drop $30 on a nedw battery.