Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Echo SRM-211 Question

11-08-09, 01:45 PM   #1  
Echo SRM-211 Question

My friend recently purchased an Echo SRM-211 from a garage sale. Everything runs fine on it. The only problem seems that the drive shaft was run over by a lawn tractor or something similar. This bent the shaft (its a straight shaft trimmer) and when he got it home, he literally put it in between two trees and bent it back. The thing runs fine with no problems, he went and used it with no flaw what so ever. However, should he be concerned that it was bent and then fixed? Could there be problems in the future? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-08-09, 09:38 PM   #2  
if it has a flex cable, then probably no problems to worry about. If it has a solid drive shaft, then it could be a little out of line and maybe cause some vibration or something to wear the bushings in the tube, but if it runs well and without significant vibration, then I would use it and not worry about it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

11-09-09, 07:28 AM   #3  
I tried it, there's no more vibration than on a normal unit. It's probably a flex cable, if it is...don't flex cables wear out faster than a solid shaft? Thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-09-09, 03:40 PM   #4  
Not necessarily, at least in my experience. Solid shafts seem to tend to wear at the drive ends. Flex cables usually break before they wear out. Solid shafts are often in straight shaft trimmers and are better when using other attachments like tillers, blades, etc...

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread