Craftsman Snow Thrower stuck in low gear

Old 11-11-09, 12:50 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman Snow Thrower stuck in low gear

Craftsman 7.75 hp 2stage model 536.887752
This worked fine last winter, and it started right up last week. However shifting gears seems very tight and they don't feel right, and it will only go forward very slowly. It looks like the "speed select rod" is really straining and hardly moving the shifter rod at all. These are still connected tightly, but an inch of threads are showing on the speed select rod.
Appreciate any ideas to save the $$.

Dano.

Old 11-11-09, 07:14 PM
Drain the oil & the fuel & tip the machine up on the collector.. Pull the trans cover off & you will see the trans assy.. Move the lever & look for movement with the parts in there,, Lots of times it's only rust on the hexagon shaft that you can clean & lubricate.. Don't get any oil on the drive platter under the drive disc tho' or it'll still slip,,,, Roger

Old 11-14-09, 12:54 PM
D
Roger, You da Man!
I was able to spray the chain and all, which was all rusty.....once I cleared out the Condo complex the mice had built! They had grass, hair and string in there and it had tangled around a lot of the moving parts. Noticed more play in the gear selector immediately. Put it back together, added oil and gas, works almost perfectly. Only problem is Reverse1 is very slow, so I will just use R2, not a big deal.
I found removing the oil was quite a challenge, they put the plug in a spot where you can't use a wrench, and it dumps right onto a flat part of the gear box where you can't fit a funnel or cup, seemed strange.

So Thanks very much Roger, glad I didn't need to ship it out.
Dan.

Old 11-15-09, 09:09 PM
Seems like all the snowblowers have that same problem with the oil. They snowblower manufacturers just use the engines the way they get them from the factory. Just bolt on & ship. You would think they would look at the assembly after it was assembled and see the oil drain problem and spend an extra $1 on a longer pipe. I have done that with most of the snowblowers I work on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: