Honda Harmony HRM215 choke linkage

Old 11-11-09, 07:40 PM
Honda Harmony HRM215 choke linkage

Something got caught under the engine of my old (but good) Honda HRM215 K4SDA mower, and popped out the link. It's the one between the black plastic choke pivot on top of the carburetor, and a vertical steel lever actuated by a cam driven from the throttle control cable.

I found what looks like the right sort of bent-wire link, but it seems too short to connect these two points properly. Could it be a two-piece linkage? If anyone can point me to a parts diagram with this piece, or a photo, I'd be very grateful. If there's another bit lost on the lawn, I might just have to live without the choke, or cobble up something myself.

Thanks in advance-

Theo

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-09, 09:39 PM
I found diagrams for your mower.
HRM215K4SDA

Old 11-13-09, 05:43 AM
Originally Posted by Kevusa View Post
I found diagrams for your mower.
Thanks, KevUSA. I had found those, which are helpful generally. What they don't show is the stiff wire linkage that connects the top of the choke rod (#4 in the carburetor assembly picture) to the center-pivoted steel lever that is cam-actuated from the throttle/choke lever. The linkage I have isn't long enough, so either it got bent incorrectly, or I'm missing a piece. Guess this isn't a part they thought would ever need replacing!

Thanks-

Theo

Old 11-13-09, 06:25 AM
These are about the best I could do of my HR215 without taking the entire upper apart.

Old 11-16-09, 02:58 PM
Thank YOU, Ron!

Yup - that clarified it. Thanks so much for taking the photos. Rod/wire had an extra right-angle bend that looked "official." Straightened out, it fit perfectly. Mower started right up, and even seemed to run smoother than before.

Great forum here! Hope I can someday pass along the help to another.

-Theo

Old 04-25-12, 07:21 PM
Ron,

You don't still happen to have those photos of the HR215 choke linkage?

I pulled mine apart and now can't seem to figure out how the actuator works.

It seems as though I'm missing a spring or something - the photos may help.

Old 04-25-12, 09:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The diagram is in the link he posted. Click on it, then click on control assembly. You can view it there.

Old 04-26-12, 06:41 PM
cheese,
I don't have a 'link he posted' to click on.
I see a small box with a red X thru it.
When I right click on the small box to get it's properties, this is what I get:
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Honda215HR.jpg

Navigating to that URL gives me:

The requested URL /data/500/medium/Honda215HR.jpg was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I believe the info I need is in that photo, I just can't get to it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance for your assistance !

Old 04-26-12, 08:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Strange. It works for me. I went straight to the picture and copied the address for you. It is:
Plano Power Equipment Online Store - Honda GXV140 Lawnmower Control Assembly

Old 04-28-12, 04:52 AM
Cheese,

Thanks for the diagram.
I'm actually looking for the photos that Ron posted..." Yup - that clarified it. Thanks so much for taking the photos. "

The schematic is good, but it just doesn't show me what I need. I'm expecting the photo should help.

The problem I'm having is the the choke spring holds the choke closed. I can't figure how the linkage is supposed to open the choke when it's not needed. It's as if I've lost a spring or bent something else, and I'm not able to get it re-assembled.

Any help would be appreciated.
Dan

Old 04-28-12, 11:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The choke spring should hold it open, not closed. Did you take the choke shaft out when you had it apart? #7 on the diagram connects to the control arm on the control bracket, and the hole in the top of the choke shaft. When the throttle is set on choke, it pushes the little arm connected to #7 forwards, making the choke close. Then, when the throttle is backed off to remove the choke, it lets the little arm pull back and the choke opens on it's own, via the return spring. I don't have this engine here at the shop at the moment to take a pic of it, but I'm fairly familiar with it.

Old 04-30-12, 06:34 PM
cheese,

Regarding my honda 215 - the thing with this choke - the spring holds the choke closed. I did not pull the butterfly and spring off, didn't need to. Normally, the spring holds it open, the linkage forces it closed, this one is 'backwards' thus the reason I'm in need of a photo - or something more than the diagram.

Thanks for taking some time responding to these,

Dan.

Old 04-30-12, 06:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know why your spring is holding it closed. There is a lever on the control housing. It remains untouched until the throttle is set to choke. At this point, a screw pushes the arm connected to the choke linkage, which closes the choke. Once the choke isn't needed, the throttle is pulled back and the lever relaxes to it's default position which is open. If yours doesn't operate this way, something is connected wrong. Here is an illustration that may be of more help, although not as good as a photo. Look on page 2.
http://engines.honda.com/pdf/manuals/31ZG9642.pdf

Here is an exploded view of your carburetor, clearly showing the choke return spring. As you can see in this diagram, it returns the choke to the open position.
OEM Parts

Old 10-29-12, 06:29 PM
I am sorry, I haven't be around but is somebody still looking for a photo?

Search this Thread