Briggs engine smoking at startup

Old 11-16-09, 11:54 AM
Briggs engine smoking at startup

Hi,

Recently bought a Craftsman riding mower. The only thing I have found wrong with it is when I first start it up, it smokes a little bit and then clears up. If I shut it off and start it again, it doesn't smoke. When it is running and I throttle up and down, I'm not getting any smoke. It has a 19.5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine. Does the carb just need cleaned and checked? Previous owner did say he had rebuilt the carb this summer.

The engine numbers are:
42E707, 2631 E1, 9809255A.

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-09, 04:31 PM
My $0.02;
If the smoke is white/blue it is oil and could be seeping by the valve guides or rings after shutoff and cool down, if it is black it is the loadup of fuel from when it was shut off the last time and then cool down, in either case nothing to worry about as long as it goes away. Have a good one. Geo

Old 11-16-09, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Try starting it with no choke to begin with, add choke once it starts cranking if it does not fire then open the choke once it fires.
Not a big issue but likely just a bit rich at start up from too much choke which can wash the oil from the cylinder walls and slightly shorten engine life.
White or blue puff could be as geo explained.