Kohler CV730 oil leak

Old 11-21-09, 08:07 PM
Question Kohler CV730 oil leak

I have a Kohler CV730 in a Craftsman yard tractor. It started leaking oil under the #1 cylinder. It looks like it may be coming from the governor shaft or maybe the breather plate. It's dripping pretty good... Roughly 3 drops every 2 seconds.

I discovered the leak while I was mowing one day, after enough oil had dripped onto the muffler and it caught on fire. Fortunately I was just outside the shop door and was able to grab an extinguisher and put it out in a matter of seconds.

Does anyone know if there's a O-ring or some other seal on the governor shaft? I've checked the service manual but it doesn't mention any sort of seal.

What else would be a logical place on the lower right front of this engine where a leak could occur?

If it leaking from the governor shaft and there's no seal, what would cause it to leak here?

Thanks!

:USAF:

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-09, 09:40 PM
After some more digging I've found that there's oil on the cooling fins near where the head and cylinder come together.

Blown head gasket?

Thanks

Old 11-22-09, 08:47 PM
Smile

Yup. It was a head gasket. #1 was blown and #2 was well on it's way.

It sounds like I might be replacing a lifter on #2 next. It runs fine though. Any thoughts on a noisy lifter? Will it pump back up on its own?

Thanks!

Old 11-23-09, 01:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It should. If it doesn't in several minutes of run time, use 10w-30 oil instead of 30, if you aren't already and see if it improves.