Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

briggs twin cyl model 422707. any pictures of the governer spring location??

11-23-09, 07:12 PM   #1  
briggs twin cyl model 422707. any pictures of the governer spring location??

got a briggs 422707..
took the carb off to rebuild it... never did a carb on this engine before but done plenty of carbs.. I was putting the car back on, naturally the ( what appears to be ) the governor spring fell off.
I have no idea where it goes.. I dont see any place for it..
here is the craftsman parts manual.. i believe its part # 262539.
http://mysite.verizon.net/mcalautt/422707.pdf

Sponsored Links

GA

11-23-09, 08:38 PM   #2  
Hi, my sister has a 17hp Murray Twin II mod 42E707, the carb looks similar to the diagram in your Craftsman manual. I can snap a couple pictures of the installed spring tomorrow when I'm over there if that will help?

11-24-09, 08:08 PM   #3  
dude that would be awesome..

specially inbetween the carb and the motor..
thats where the throttle cable linkage and governor would be.

the motor looks like this..

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

11-25-09, 09:26 AM   #4  
I have a couple of those in the shop. Are you sure its the governor spring? Can you post a pic of what it looks like now?
Sounds like you're wanting shots of the governor linkage but normally that needn't be touched just to remove the carb...

GA

11-26-09, 05:50 AM   #5  
Thats a Twin II like my sisters.....I'll try to get over there today and snap a couple pictures.

11-27-09, 06:40 PM   #6  
any luck with the pics ?

mike

11-27-09, 06:43 PM   #7  
Posted By: BFHFixit I have a couple of those in the shop. Are you sure its the governor spring? Can you post a pic of what it looks like now?
Sounds like you're wanting shots of the governor linkage but normally that needn't be touched just to remove the carb...
i just assumed its govenor related because it looks like the spring in the parts break down I listed..

its a short spring with a U bend at either end.
Ive done plenty of carbs before.. I only disconnected what was needed on the carb to get it off.. when I was putting it back on,
I heard something hit the ground and when I looked down it was a spring.. Its totally possible that the spring was there and was not suppose to be.. I got this rider used last year so im sure its been worked on before... the throttle control and linkcage feels fine and seems to return so its almost as if it does not belong to this motor.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

11-28-09, 10:30 AM   #8  
The only spring on the governor assy goes behind the bracket. Here are two pics looking behind the bracket from the left side of the engine.

The first pic the yellow arrow points to the top hook of the spring with the open end away from the view point.

The second is the bottom of the spring, yellow points to the open end that goes through a hole, red shows spring side of hook.

GA

11-29-09, 11:43 PM   #9  
I see BFH beat me to some pics. Sorry I haven't been over to my sisters place yet to get some. Let me know if I can be any help, our engine is a 1999 model twin 2. "E" code.

12-25-09, 06:20 PM   #10  
finally getting back!

it appears to be a mystery spring.
there is a govn spring there and it is similar to the one I
found that I heard drop however it is much bigger.

as far as I can tell, this is a mystery spring.
I dont know what battles this mower has seen so
for all I know it was serviced somewhere and that spring got dropped in there.. it starts and runs fine.. the throttle control works as it did when I took the carb off.. I think its too small
for a govn spring..
thanks to all that helped !!
I have bad memory but if I remember ill take a pic of the spring
to curve anyone's curiosity. !!

12-25-09, 06:56 PM   #11  
better do it now before i forget.

here is the spring..

here's a pic of the carb linkage but its not too clear.

Search this Thread