Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

water in oil

11-24-09, 06:01 AM   #1  
water in oil

I have a 4.5hp horizontial shaft engine on a log splitter that has got water in the crankcase,can anybody tell me the best way to flush out the crankcase?

Sponsored Links

Non-US

11-24-09, 08:52 AM   #2  
Don't run the engine, just drain the oil / water out of it first... Install new oil & run it @ idle speed till it warms up & drain again... You may have to do this a couple times,, but I think you should be OK.. It'll be clean when the oil draining out isn't milky grey.... Roger

11-25-09, 07:03 AM   #3  
Thank you very much I will give that a try.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

11-25-09, 09:29 AM   #4  
Posted By: workinman Thank you very much I will give that a try.
How long did it sit with water in it and what does the old oil look like?

11-25-09, 08:44 PM   #5  
I assume the water was in there at least 2-3 months.The color is like a coffee with lots of cream.I did not run the motor,however I did pull the cord a few times.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

11-26-09, 07:52 AM   #6  
Sounds like you might save a couple of oil changes by using an engine flush with some 5w-30. I have used straight engine flush since you can get it in quart containers and that is likely all your engine holds. Diesel fuel will do the same thing.

Make certain "NOT" to overfill it, then remove the spark plug and pull the engine through several times. See how it looks after that and if bad enough still, drain and repeat until it no longer discolors.

If you use an engine flush with oil you can actually fire it up for 30 seconds or so but not likely needed with that small of an engine.

Search this Thread