Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Changing Oil in Old Ariens

RI

11-28-09, 07:24 PM   #1  
Changing Oil in Old Ariens

Mine is a 1976 20" Sno-Thro. The engine is a Tecumseh 4hp. Specs: HS40-55440E Ser # 7223B. I've owned it for 2 years. I want to change the oil, but have questions.
I found the drain plug, but it looks like I cannot catch the oil cleanly. Do I tip the machine? Also, should my oil cap have a dipstick attached? It is a wing nut-type plug, with a circular groove on the inside of the cap. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Sponsored Links

TN

11-29-09, 08:05 AM   #2  
The method of draining oil on many small engines is archaic. There are aftermarket products to replace the oil drain plug that make oil changes easier and cleaner. I posted a couple links below, there are many others types and brands.

The oil fill cap is another messy device. I imagine this design was about reducing cost. The only item I have seen to replace this is a short clear tube with a rubber bulb. The tube screws into the hole where the oil cap was. To check proper oil level you push on the rubber bulb and if oil is visible in the clear tube, level is good. I personally never liked these devices.

Precise Engine Repair - Drainzit Oil Drain Systems

ITW Fastex - CVA - EZ Drain | Engine Oil Drain Valves

NH

11-30-09, 08:19 AM   #3  
For snowblowers, I made my own oil drain trof. I bought a piece of PCV 1/2" pipe and cut it down the length, giving me 2 1 foot long half round drian trofs. This way, I can guide the oil into the drain pan an not have the oil run down the side of the snowblower.

Search this Thread