Husqy 261 saw starts, runs for 20 secs and dies

Old 11-30-09, 03:45 AM
Husqy 261 saw starts, runs for 20 secs and dies

Hi all, looked through posts but couldn't find a similar problem. I have a Husqvarna 261 saw with the 62cc engine. The saw starts fine but dies after 10-20 seconds. I can do wot or let it idle, both of which it does fine for up to 20 sec. I blew out the air filter with compressed air and pulled carb and gave it a cleaning although I didn't remove the plug. No change. The guy I got the saw from was over and I had him start it. He was able to keep it running by, apparently lightly shaking the saw, from wot to idle. He said it wanted to die a couple times but feathered throttle while shaking saw and it kept running. It finally died out after 2 or 3 min. I have noticed a small gas leak around the gas line where it goes through the bushing above the tank. Would the leak have any impact on keeping the saw running? My next step is a carb kit. I don't think it's the H/L screws as the saw idles fine and takes wot with no hesitation.....for a little while. I could be wrong though. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, Andrew

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-09, 06:24 AM
The fuel line could be the cause of the problem. I suggest you replace the fuel line and the fuel filter before you touch the carburetor.

I see two versions of your saw in the parts lists and use different fuel lines. I suggest you take the saw to a local shop and let them sell you the appropriate line and filter.

Old 11-30-09, 10:23 AM
Smile Hello

I agree with Airman, but I want to add some stuff to. If you do the gas lines and it still happens then it maybe the Oil seals on the ends of the starting end or the power/tool end.

I dealt with the same issue with a ECHO tool and both Oil seals were bad. It did the same thing as Airman said.

Now testing for it if you do not have the tools is some what easy.

Place a sheet of 1/8 rubber that you can get from lowes over the exhaust end and screw it on snug. Then I made a test plate with a nipple on it with the carb removed for the intake and placed some rubber behind it. I drew a vaccum or tried to and it leaked. Then I placed about 6 to 8 pounds of pressure on it and soap tested and or placed it in a bucket and saw that the Oil seals indeed where bad.

Also I found out that the Insulator that they call it located between the Carb and the engine will have aquired hair line cracks in it and leak as well. Especially when it gets hot! I found this on a bucket test of water on a RYOBI!

I hoped I helped you! I have made video and I can emial it to you showing what I am talking about!

Henry

Old 11-30-09, 11:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi Henry,
That sounds like a video I would be interested in seeing...and perhaps some testing methods I could adopt.

Do you have a youtube account? Free and easy and I bet your videos would be greatly appreciated.

If not and you wish not to, please PM me for an email addy as I would like to see your vid.

Thanks

Old 11-30-09, 03:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, change the lines. A pinhole in the line would allow the carb to pull air instead of fuel. Shaking it makes pressure in the tank which would help it run longer.

Old 11-30-09, 11:25 PM
Thank you Airman, Cheese and Henry for the info: A new line and filter will be the next part I buy. Henry: I would love to see your video as I would like to knock out as many problems as I can while I'm in doing work on it. You can send it to [email protected]
I will post the results of new line/filter. Thanks again.

Old 12-01-09, 10:39 PM
Thanks a lot Henry, Cheese and Airman....the new line and filter worked!

Old 12-02-09, 04:11 AM
Smile Hello

I sure will,

I started making small clips of video for friends.

I will send you it via e-mail.

It will help a little!

Henry

Old 12-02-09, 04:23 AM
Smile Hello

Heres the deal on Videos,

E-mail me at [email protected] and we will discuss more.

I have a plan.

henry

Old 12-02-09, 07:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Weed Eaterman View Post
Heres the deal on Videos,

E-mail me at [email protected] and we will discuss more.

I have a plan.

henry
I prefer to use the Private Messaging system provided by the forums.

Old 12-02-09, 07:30 AM
Smile Ok

Ok your choice!

I understand!

Henry