Briggs carb/engine idle trouble

Old 11-22-09, 07:34 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Briggs carb/engine idle trouble

5hp briggs- ( model#: 135212 Type#: 0272 01 code#:92092907 )-new Diaphragm carburetor less than a year old on yardman tiller,Hard to start motor,cleaned carb twice and put new Diaphragm (first time cleaning-wasnt starting at all,took it apart cleaned pipes and throat and such,put back together and back on motor.starts and runs,but idles up and down,(second cleaning-thought maybe trash stuck somewheres,put back on motor and same problem occur.carb has no needle valve adjustment screw

Old 11-22-09, 08:33 AM
A
The link below should help you. Pay close attention to each step. My guess is you need to remove the welch plug (step #17) and clean behind it. Most small engine shops will have welch plugs on hand

Disassembly of Briggs and Stratton Tank-mounted Pulsa-jet Fixed-jet Small Well Carburetor - Horizontal Crankshaft Engine

This link, not same carburetor, tells how to remove and install Welch plugs.

http://engines.myfaqcenter.com/Answer.aspx?p_faqid=3440&body_0$tbKeyword=welch plug

Old 11-24-09, 05:00 PM
C
i have removed the welch plug and cleaned behind it,was clean looking behind it,passed wire in holes and sprayed carb cleaner and air.installed new welch plug, didnt fix problem

Old 11-25-09, 05:36 PM
This may sound like a longshot, but if your sure the carb is perfect & you have a good steady spark (check with an inline tester with the engine running) check the valve clearance... I ran into 2 or 3 this summer that I swore was a carb problem, but it turned out to be valves too tight & one valve not seating all the way.. Check them just for a goof.... Roger

Old 11-25-09, 08:10 PM
C
does this engine (model#: 135212 Type#: 0272 01 code#:92092907) have set of points under fly wheel?. .. . . update: engine idles up and down when not under load. . and runs normal under load (tilling dirt).

Old 11-26-09, 03:47 AM
A
I think your problem lies in the carburetor. Either a passage is not clean enough or you may have an air leak between the carburetor and fuel tank. Try installing a new fuel tank gasket or apply a thin coat of non-hardening Permatex to both sides of the gasket.

There is a possibility of a governor problem but what you are experiencing is indicative of a carburetor problem.

The ignition is electronic, no points.

Old 11-26-09, 08:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is the problem only at idle? How about full throttle with no load?

Old 12-02-09, 07:45 AM
W
Smile Hello Everyone

Nice comments from everyone,

One other issue is did you hook back up the Throttle linkage correctly in the right hole on the Carb.

This sounds funny and I had customer work on his, then gave it to me becasue he could not get it to run and he messed hooked up on the throttle linkage. When I took it a part and cleaned it and reassemble I hooked it back were my mind saw it was before and when I started it it hunted surge back and fourth badly.

I was what the heck and took it a part cleaned it again all holes and still the same. Then I looked at my hook up and I be darned it was in the wrong hole causing it to run high and the fly wheel in side would try to compensate it and make it slow and go high and slow go high.

So I relocated the the connection and behold it ran fine.

I have also found issues with bad gaskets sucking air.

I now when doing this and an engine gives me issues of this nature I take Starting fluid and lightly spray around the gaskets areas while running to see if anything speeds up and or chokes off. This is a good test as well.

I have also found bad air filters especially ones that have been oil soaked can casue this and does as well.

The simplist things can casue issues.

I hope I have helped!

Henry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: