Adding a light to my Snowblower

Old 12-06-09, 05:44 AM
Adding a light to my Snowblower

I own a 1997 MTD Snowblower, model # 317E610E000 with a Tecumseh motor (model # HSSK50 - 67368R). I am trying to attach a light to the snowblower but I am bascially stuck and not sure how tro proceed. I did read an article where it talked about having an alternator on the engine to hook up a light but once again I'm not sure where to start? Any ideas out there would be appreciate.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-09, 07:28 AM
To add a light that receives its electrical power from the engine would require installing a stator (alternator) which would require different flywheel to provide magnetic flux for the stator to operate. This can be done but the cost for parts alone is around $200.00.

Maybe some of the guys from snow blower land will chime in on the possibility of installing a rechargeable battery powered light.

Old 12-06-09, 09:02 AM
Some snowblowers, especially the inexpensive ones, have no provisions for lights. By not having an alternator on the engine, manufacturers saved $$$ on the engine and could sell the snowblower for about $75 less. Airman is right that you need to make sure yours has an alternator. If not, you have to install the alternator. Your 5hp most likely does NOT have an alternator as they were the least expensive "full size"models they sold. It might be cheaper & easier to make a battery holder and use a small motorcyle battery to power you lights. You would have to recharge it after every use and after a while it may not hold a charge anymore. If you could fine a "deep cycle" lawnmower battery, that would work better, but those can run $150. Another option might be to buy a "work light" that uses the same batteries as the cordless drills use. Putting a light on a snowblower that never had one is a pain & costly no matter how you do it.

Old 12-06-09, 07:38 PM
If it has provisions for a light kit,, on the side of the engine opposite the carb,, you should see a piece of wire 3~4 inches long with a white single prong connector on the end not plugged to anything,, if it's not there,than as the others say you may be out of luck unless you make a battery type... You need the stator & the flywheel with the magnets on the inside & some engines may not be machined to accept the stator... Sorry,, Roger

Old 12-08-09, 11:27 AM
I had investigated this some time ago, and my solution was a home made metal bracket, a couple of metal hose clamps of the appropiate size and a 4 cell Mag-Lite. Total investment was under $25, works good and the light comes off if I need it elsewhere.

Old 12-08-09, 12:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A car headlight puts out ~40w.
Find a 40w 12v gen. and a belt drive and pick off power anywhere you can.
If you need a regulator a few LM317s should do but for a constant RPM you may get away without it.