Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

B&S Quantum - Can't Pull Start & White smoke in oil filler

12-06-09, 02:09 PM   #1  
B&S Quantum - Can't Pull Start & White smoke in oil filler

An advance thank you to anyone that can help this novice understand what might be wrong

I just bought a used Power Washer with a Briggs & Stratton 6.0hp Quantum engine. First time I tried to use it, it never really seemed to get enough power. After 5-10 seconds it would quit (started up nice). It did this 3 times and then quit for good. I tired to restart it and the pull start is locked. I looked in the oil filler to recheck the engine oil. It looked fairly clean, but there was white smoke in it. I had planned on changing the oil immediately, but wanted to warm it up to get the sludge out. Looks like I may have waited 15 seconds too long! Based on info on other sites, I removed the spark plug and tried to counter rotate the blower. No luck, still frozen in both directions. Any thoughts???? Worth fixing?? The model number is 12H802-1714-D1-01111459. Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Chad

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-08-09, 01:15 AM   #2  
Sure sounds like it was run without sufficient oil in it. Locked up I'd say and probably not worth fixing. I have a strong dislike for the pressure washers with the little toy pump mounted underneath the engine anyway. I have thrown out many of them. The cylinder is probably scored, the piston, rings, and rod likely all have damage, and the pumps on these generally give out pretty quickly too, so I would say not worth fixing. The only way to know for sure is to take it apart and see.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

12-08-09, 05:04 AM   #3  
-

Thanks cheese. I appreciate the honesty. I guess I will rack this one up to a loss.

TX

12-08-09, 07:06 AM   #4  
might try - taking the pump off to see if it is the pump,or engine that is locked.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

12-08-09, 08:21 AM   #5  
If it happens to have an adjustable pressure regulator, make sure it is backed all the way out also...

Search this Thread