Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

craftsman electric push mower has troublestarting

12-06-09, 02:12 PM   #1  
craftsman electric push mower has troublestarting

i've got a regular plug-in electric craftsman lawnmower. it's about 5-6 yrs old. It's been having trouble starting and recently it's gotten really bad. To get it working I have to rock the lawnmower up and down on the wheels... i don't know how to describe it. basically i have to "get it going" physically... then the motor starts. but when it starts it slowly chuggs and after i start moving it, it goes back to normal. when i unplug it and plug it back in, i have to start all over again.

Sponsored Links

12-07-09, 05:41 AM   #2  
Ok

Ok,

I will bite on this one, First off electric?

Ok bad windings on the electric motor. Or a lose wire.

Best thing go buy a Gas on!

Toss that away!

Henry

TN

12-07-09, 08:35 AM   #3  
Could you post the model number?

Why electric, electric makes sense for a small yard. Fuel never goes stale, no carburetor problems and some are cordless. Cordless rechargeable mowers and trimmers are getting better every year.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

12-07-09, 08:39 AM   #4  
Posted By: Airman Why electric, electric makes sense for a small yard. Fuel never goes stale, no carburetor problems and some are cordless. Cordless rechargeable mowers and trimmers are getting better every year.
I agree.
Likely just brushes worn out...not much else other than bearings.

Non-US

12-07-09, 11:58 AM   #5  
Also check the cord your using... I see a lot of them twisted enough after a while the wire inside brakes & sometimes doesnt work till you wiggle it around... Just for a goof,, Try a different cord... Roger

PA

12-08-09, 11:24 AM   #6  
With the mowwer UNPLUGGED, turn it over and look closely to see if there is string, or wire wound around the blade spindle causing friction between the spindle and the bearing above the blade (under the blade when the mower isd inverted for examination). Spin the blade by hand to see if it rubs any where in its rotation.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

12-08-09, 12:37 PM   #7  
Posted By: hopkinsr2 Also check the cord your using... I see a lot of them twisted enough after a while the wire inside brakes & sometimes doesnt work till you wiggle it around... Just for a goof,, Try a different cord... Roger
If your cord can't run a hair dryer it's probably bad.

Search this Thread