craftsman electric push mower has troublestarting

Old 12-06-09, 02:12 PM
craftsman electric push mower has troublestarting

i've got a regular plug-in electric craftsman lawnmower. it's about 5-6 yrs old. It's been having trouble starting and recently it's gotten really bad. To get it working I have to rock the lawnmower up and down on the wheels... i don't know how to describe it. basically i have to "get it going" physically... then the motor starts. but when it starts it slowly chuggs and after i start moving it, it goes back to normal. when i unplug it and plug it back in, i have to start all over again.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-09, 05:41 AM
Ok

Ok,

I will bite on this one, First off electric?

Ok bad windings on the electric motor. Or a lose wire.

Best thing go buy a Gas on!

Toss that away!

Henry

Old 12-07-09, 08:35 AM
Could you post the model number?

Why electric, electric makes sense for a small yard. Fuel never goes stale, no carburetor problems and some are cordless. Cordless rechargeable mowers and trimmers are getting better every year.

Old 12-07-09, 08:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Airman View Post
Why electric, electric makes sense for a small yard. Fuel never goes stale, no carburetor problems and some are cordless. Cordless rechargeable mowers and trimmers are getting better every year.
I agree.
Likely just brushes worn out...not much else other than bearings.

Old 12-07-09, 11:58 AM
Also check the cord your using... I see a lot of them twisted enough after a while the wire inside brakes & sometimes doesnt work till you wiggle it around... Just for a goof,, Try a different cord... Roger

Old 12-08-09, 11:24 AM
With the mowwer UNPLUGGED, turn it over and look closely to see if there is string, or wire wound around the blade spindle causing friction between the spindle and the bearing above the blade (under the blade when the mower isd inverted for examination). Spin the blade by hand to see if it rubs any where in its rotation.

Old 12-08-09, 12:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by hopkinsr2 View Post
Also check the cord your using... I see a lot of them twisted enough after a while the wire inside brakes & sometimes doesnt work till you wiggle it around... Just for a goof,, Try a different cord... Roger
If your cord can't run a hair dryer it's probably bad.