Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Troy Bilt 5550 Generator 01919 not starting

12-10-09, 06:34 PM   #1  
Troy Bilt 5550 Generator 01919 not starting

I've got a Troy-Bilt generator model 01919 with a Briggs and Stratton engine model 204412. It was given to me a couple of years ago and has worked well and even provided my family power for 11 days this past winter during an ice storm. A couple weeks ago I decided to fire it up to make sure everything was working. I now can't get it to start. I can pull the starter rope until my arm falls off and it won't even act like it is trying to start. However, if I spray some starter fluid in the carb it runs briefly. I checked and replaced the plug...still nothing.

I thought that it might be the oil sensor so I bought a new one and replaced it...no change.

One thing I have noticed is that the on/off switch if I unplug the ground with it in the "On" position and spray starter fluid..it runs briefly. If I leave all three wires plugged in and in the "On" position and spray starter fluid it doesn't even try to run. Of course, I have plugged and unplugged the wires so much I think I have confused myself where they actually go...I assume from left to right..red, black, white. Hope that is right.

I'm now thinking if it isn't somehow related to the "On/Off" switch then I have some gummed up carbs that isn't allowing any gas through....would this be a wrong assumption?

Sorry for rambling...that's kinda how my diagnostic skills go also.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

Non-US

12-10-09, 08:55 PM   #2  
I think your right with the idea of the gummed up carb.. Running it on starter fluid tells us you have spark & compression,, the only thing missing is fuel... It may be time to pull the carb apart & kit it,, but before you do,, make sure you have fuel flowing to the carb & the fuel isn't shut off,, ask me how I learned about the little fuel tap when your trying to start the snowblower in a snowstorm....LOL,,, Can't help with the switch tho,, sorry, but the Pros will be here soon... Can you figgure it out with an ohmmeter??? Roger

Search this Thread