Kohler engine shuts off after approx. 10 minutes

Old 12-11-09, 10:18 AM
Kohler engine shuts off after approx. 10 minutes

I have a Craftsman rider with a Kohler CV15S that I rebuilt the carb on. The needle needed replaced due to gas flooding over into the crankcase. Now the mower will start just fine and run good. But after idling about 10 minutes it just shuts off. When I start it again it back fires and starts right up. What could be causing it to shut off and then backfire upon starting? I did drain the oil and flushed the engine along with changing the filter.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-09, 10:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Gas tank air intake blocked?

Old 12-11-09, 10:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's idled too low, the compression release could be opening a valve and killing it. Is the idle set very low?

Old 12-11-09, 10:43 AM
as far as i can tell the idle is good
I don't have a tach but it is within normal range

Old 12-11-09, 04:50 PM
run it with the gas cap loosened. that will tell you if the ghas cap vent is blocked.

Old 12-14-09, 05:35 PM
I finally had time to check mower today and fuel vent is good. There is plenty of fuel getting to combustion chamber because it blows it back out of carb when it tries to backfire. Mower would not start today. Crankshaft key was still in place and not sheared. Plug was wet with fuel. Compression was 90 psi. I also cleaned the carb again. The carb is working properly but seems to be flooding when the choke is on and won't start with throttle all the way down.

Old 12-14-09, 06:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not sure what you mean by it is working properly but flooding when the choke is on. Running the engine with the choke on definitely floods it and it should. If the carb is running gas out of it then it has problems and isn't working properly. Gas coming out the carb during backfire doesn't necessarily mean it's getting enough into the combustion chamber.

Old 12-14-09, 06:20 PM
Sorry, what meant working properly is that the needle is shutting the fuel off and the solenoid on bottom of the bowl is working. The initial problem with this mower was the needle was worn and gas was pouring over into the crankcase. Also what I meant by flooding when it is choked was when it is not running seeing as to it not starting it just backires. After I first fixed the worn needle the mower started and run fine for about 10 minutes at idle then just shut off. When starting right up it would backfire and then run fine.

Old 12-14-09, 08:45 PM
Have you replaced the spark plug??? It may have gotten contaminated during the last carb problem,,, If so,, can you beg,borrow or steal an inline air gap type spark tester?? If you''re sure the carb is PERFECT & the float etc adjusted,, Run it with the air gap in the tester @ ~0.020" & watch the spark.. If it changes color or intensity or stops, than ignition is the problem.. Air gap testers are 4/5 bucks @ most auto parts stores... Hope this helps... Roger

Old 12-14-09, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes I changed the spark plug after that. I do have one of those spark testers and the spark was like a pinkish blue and was consistant.

Old 12-14-09, 09:06 PM
If the carb & spark are O.K. as you say than the only thing left would be compression,,, Just for a goof,,, check the valve clearances, as if they are too tight, maybe as stuff expands with heat, a valve isn't seating.. I don't know about Kohler,, But I'v run into others that would Quit/ run poorly after a few mins & after a valve adjust,, they never stop... Just a thought,, Check it out,,, Roger

Old 12-15-09, 06:29 AM
I will check the valve clearances after while and post. The compression was 90 psi.

Old 12-15-09, 10:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The valves are not adjustable on this model. I wouldn't worry about them. I think you have a carb problem still, or the flywheel key is sheared.

Old 12-15-09, 03:09 PM
I just got the mower to run but as soon as you get it started with choke on you have to put it down in low idle real quick to leave it running. It also blows white smoke out of the exhaust meaning it is burning oil. If you try to increase the throttle it will bog down and try to cut off.
Do you think that I might not have gotten all of the gas out of the engine? I drained the oil twice and changed the plug afterwards and rebuilt the carb.

Old 12-15-09, 06:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Smell the oil, does it smell like gas? Is it thin or overfull? If not, then it's probably just burning the oil out of the muffler. Still sounds like you have carb problems.

Old 12-15-09, 08:11 PM
The oil doesnt smell like gas near as much as it did.
the oil is also at the right level and it does not feel thin

Old 12-16-09, 10:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think you still have carb problems. What is the recent history of the mower? Was it sitting unused for a long time?

Old 12-17-09, 05:16 AM
Not real sure on history
Mower looks to be in real good shape but a friend of mine was given this mower and another one and seeing as to how they were both just given to him I would bet it has been sitting a while

Old 12-17-09, 01:38 PM
It was definitely a carb problem. Fishing line made the difference.

Old 12-17-09, 05:45 PM
Hey ,, Glad your going again,, but I have to ask about the fishing line,, Do you have some trick that I don't know about,,LOL Do you use it for cleaning the jets??? If you don't mind,, please share it with me... Thanks Lots,,, Roger

Old 12-17-09, 06:52 PM
Yeah I used it to clean the jets
Thanks to all of you for the help. Now look at my other post and help me figure out the lights on this thing ha ha.