Tecumseh T670-01E

Old 12-12-09, 11:36 AM
Tecumseh T670-01E

I have a 3HP Tec. T670-01E (7404800) engine on an old ardis earth auger converted to cut ice. I put a new diaphragm and gasket in the carburetor and checked the points. The engine runs pretty well considering its age ('74) but I am trying to find the base setting for the high and low speed mixture screws and also what ratio should I have the gas mixed at? The cowl on the engine says 6oz of oil to 1 gallon of gas, but that seems pretty rich - the engine smokes a LOT on 32:1 and doesnt seem to have the torque I think it should (struggles to dig holes in dirt). I use 92 octane non-ethanol gas and synthetic oil.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-09, 02:12 PM
I think this should help a lot...tecumseh carburetor engine part manuals at cdponline.com... Hope this helps.. Roger

Old 12-12-09, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by hopkinsr2 View Post
I think this should help a lot...tecumseh carburetor engine part manuals at cdponline.com... Hope this helps.. Roger
Roger;
I think you left the .pdf off the link. Have a good one. Geo
http://www.cpdonline.com/692508.pdf

Old 12-12-09, 02:43 PM
Thanks Geo, You'r right I did... Thanks for fixing it up for me.. Roger

Old 12-12-09, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by hopkinsr2 View Post
I tried locating that file but for some reason my browser gave me errors, but I finally loaded it up and it helped a ton. My question now is this manual says 24:1 fuel mix. Can I run it on 32:1 or 40:1 to keep the smoke down or does it have to run 24:1?

Old 12-12-09, 06:08 PM
Oils have changed a whole lot since 1974. Then, we were mixing 1 quart engine oil to 5 gals of gas in our snowmobiles since there was no 2 cycle oils on the market. Oils have come a long way since then. Buy some 40:1 or 50:1 oil and use that. You won't have any problems with overheating since it is an ice auger and will be used in the cold. When the 40:1 oil came out, we had NO problem with it in our snowmobiles even in the ones that recomended 25:1. Smokes less, starts easier, won't foul plugs. If a snowmobile can run @9,000 rpm on 50:1 oil, you won't have a problem.
Base settings are usually 1 turn out from seated. Good starting point.

Old 12-12-09, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by indypower1 View Post
Oils have changed a whole lot since 1974. Then, we were mixing 1 quart engine oil to 5 gals of gas in our snowmobiles since there was no 2 cycle oils on the market. Oils have come a long way since then. Buy some 40:1 or 50:1 oil and use that. You won't have any problems with overheating since it is an ice auger and will be used in the cold. When the 40:1 oil came out, we had NO problem with it in our snowmobiles even in the ones that recomended 25:1. Smokes less, starts easier, won't foul plugs. If a snowmobile can run @9,000 rpm on 50:1 oil, you won't have a problem.
Base settings are usually 1 turn out from seated. Good starting point.
Thats good to know (and I figured as much but wanted a 2nd opinion). I know most of the new augers on the market suggest 24:1 also, but I dont see a problem with 50:1 in those either.

I'll run it at 50:1 and see what happens. Thanks for all of your help.

Old 12-13-09, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Legal v8 View Post
I have a 3HP Tec. T670-01E (7404800) engine on an old ardis earth auger converted to cut ice. I put a new diaphragm and gasket in the carburetor and checked the points. The engine runs pretty well considering its age ('74) but I am trying to find the base setting for the high and low speed mixture screws and also what ratio should I have the gas mixed at? The cowl on the engine says 6oz of oil to 1 gallon of gas, but that seems pretty rich - the engine smokes a LOT on 32:1 and doesnt seem to have the torque I think it should (struggles to dig holes in dirt). I use 92 octane non-ethanol gas and synthetic oil.
Not trying to be a rude, but that synthetic oil is 2-cycle oil I hope or it could adding to the smoking. Have a good one. Geo