Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

gummed up gas line

TX

12-12-09, 12:44 PM   #1  
gummed up gas line

Unfortunately, we have had two freezes here already and I did not drain the gas out of the edger. Now it won't start and I am assuming that gas has gummed up in the line. Is there any product that would un-gum it?

Sponsored Links

NH

12-12-09, 06:13 PM   #2  
Having 2 freezes, I would first think the line is actually frozen. Sounds like you may have some water in the gas. Use some isypropel dry gas. Put in 1 oz per gallon. If you can, bring it in a warm garage or basement first to thaw it out.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-13-09, 01:57 AM   #3  
If there is enough water in the lines to freeze and block the flow of fuel, drygas isn't going to help. I think you have a gummed up carburetor most likely and need to take the bowl off and clean and inspect the carb.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

12-14-09, 09:26 AM   #4  
If it is indeed the fuel line that is gummed up, it is quicker to replace it that to fiddle with it. Generic fuel line is available at less than a dollar a foot. I suspect you have frozen water in the gas as well. Any way you can safely warm up the machine?

12-15-09, 11:06 PM   #5  
Might carb cleaner work in this instance? Ethanol? Might help. I used it on my snowblower and it did a good job. It was having problems staying going. Spray by where you see the hose for the primer button.

Search this Thread