MTD Drive Problem

Old 12-12-09, 04:20 PM
MTD Drive Problem

I have a 10HP 2-stage MTD snowblower model # 31AE665E118. It was not throwing snow during the last heavy wet snow. Today I changed the auger belts and the drive belt. Now the wheels do propel. When I enage the drive clutch the idler puller does not provide any tension on the V-belt. The drive remains very loose The friction wheel assembly seems to be working correctly.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-09, 11:05 PM
If the idler & cables are adjusted properly as per the owners manual,, my next guess is you didn't get the right belts.. Did you get OEM ones or a close aftermarket match?? Roger

Old 12-13-09, 05:55 AM
I found the exact OEM belts so that shouldn't be the problem. The drive belt is very loose and the idler puller does not pick up the slack in the belt when the drive clutch is engaged. The idler spring seems to be in the correct place.

Old 12-13-09, 06:51 AM
The OEM Belt # for the drive is 7 or 954-0346. The 2 auger belts # 7 or 954-0430a or b. Did you make sure the pulley halves were tightened all the way? Did you remove the spark plug, tighten the bolt, then turn the crankshaft and re-tighten?

Old 12-13-09, 08:04 AM
Another common problem that can happen if you have the right belts, is the one belt not placed under the auger brake.. than it appears if one belt is tight & the other is kinda loose..Is that what you have??? Have you adjusted the engagement cable as per the operators manual yet??? Roger

Old 12-13-09, 08:07 AM
Sorry,, After rereading you'r origional post,, what belt is it??? The drive one for the wheels,, or the auger pair??? Roger

Old 12-13-09, 08:57 AM
The drive OEM belt is 754-0346 and seems to be an exact match to the old belt only a bit snugger when installed. I even reinstalled the old belt to make sure and I still have the same issue.

I can't seem to find what is supposed to snug the idler puller up against the drive belt. If I push the idler pulley by hand it makes drive belt nice and tight. There is a spring in place but it pulls the idler pulley in the relaxed position. I think I'm missing something very simple.

The drive clutch appears to only move the friction plate and does nothing to pull the idler puller tight to the belt. Does that sound correct?

I made sure the puller halves were tight and they were. I did not remove the spark plug.

Old 12-13-09, 09:00 AM
The problem is with the drive belt. The auger works fine. The funny thing is my original problem was with the auger and not the drive.

Old 12-13-09, 12:14 PM
MTD drive belt

You must have tne belt on the wrong side of the idler pulley. This drawing is from in front of the machine with the auger assy removed.

AJ

Old 12-13-09, 01:34 PM
The spring should be pulling the pulley into the belt, not away from it. The photo AJ posted is how the belt should be routed.
The disc rotates whenever the engine is running. When you hold the drive handle down, it engages the rotating disc to the friction (rubber) drive disc to move the snowblower. Make sure the pulley is on the outside of the belt and the spring pulls it inton the belt.

Old 12-13-09, 02:22 PM
AJ,
You hit the nail on the head. I feel pretty stupid for not being able to see it.

My snowblower is working great.

Thank you, Thank you and Thank you!
Don

Old 12-13-09, 02:26 PM
Thank you to hopkinsr2 and indypower1 for you quick replies as well.

Old 01-07-10, 08:03 AM
Auger Issues

AJ,

I have the same snow thrower. In the drawing you posted it appears that the auger assembly simply unbolts from the motor section with the six bolts? I ask, because my auger pulleys are loose from whatever the mounting mechanism might be and I need to get a better look at the reason. Where did you get the drawing?

R

Old 01-07-10, 08:46 AM
Mtd

You are correct you need to remove the 6 nuts, the chute crank, and be careful of the engagement cable. I pulled the drawing from one of my update books.

AJ

Old 01-07-10, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by aj-allen View Post
You are correct you need to remove the 6 nuts, the chute crank, and be careful of the engagement cable. I pulled the drawing from one of my update books.

AJ
you should disconnect the engagement cable back at the handle.