Tecumseh starter 37000

Old 12-14-09, 08:13 AM
Tecumseh starter 37000

I replaced the gear on my starter and once reassembled when I try starting it just hums. The shaft does not turn. I tried it on my bench, not installed on Snowblower. I can easily turn the shaft manually. I need help, thanks for any feedback

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-09, 10:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did the starter work prior to replacing the drive gear? Did you have the brush cap off?

Old 12-14-09, 10:45 AM
The starter worked before. I did open the brush cap, as you know the brushes and springs come out of their sleeves when you open it. I was careful to replace the brushes where I believe they go, based on the length of the wires and placement of their connection to the motor.

Old 12-14-09, 06:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like something came apart or is shorted/connected wrong in the brush assembly. The 2 brushes connected to the cable post should be on opposite sides from each other, not next to each other. The wires from them should not be able to touch the wires from the other brushes or the armature or case of the starter. When you turn the starter, are you sure you're turning the entire starter motor, or maybe just the drive gear?

Old 12-14-09, 06:19 PM
I will take it apart and try again. I am turning the shaft and not just the gear,will update, You think that its a short somewhere?

Old 12-27-09, 09:22 AM
Any other ideas out there???

Old 12-27-09, 09:40 AM
starter

Areyou sure it's not binding? Were thier any shims or washers at the mounting points. Try running it off the engine.
Sd

Old 12-27-09, 11:31 AM
I'm testing it on my bench, There was only one washer in the motor housing located on the top of the motor. It has a very small convex shape to it, I have tried it both ways with no success. I can turn the shaft with y fingertips, no effort, no binding

Old 12-28-09, 12:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Still sounds to me like either a short or no connection at the brushes. Are the brushes contacting the commutator?