Toro 521 snowblower - model # 38052 - auger / impeller problem

Old 12-16-09, 12:39 PM
Toro 521 snowblower - model # 38052 - auger / impeller problem

I have a model 38052 Toro 521 snowblower - Ser. # 5007202
Date of manufacture 1985

I recently loss the use of this snowblower when the auger was suddenly jammed with a hidden obstacle. Prior to that it worked great. Now the auger and impeller do not turn. The self propelled function still works in all gears. Can someone please give me the fix? I thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-09, 01:57 PM
Toro

It sounds like a shear pin which fits in the auger shaft. But if the impeller also does not spin , It could be a broken key way on the impeller shaft a much tougher fix. On the site below I put the model # and serial number into toros search and was able to retrieved a diagram where you can zoom in to see where shear pin goes. I would look into part # 5 if the impeller is not working. https://www.shoptoro.com/Comergent/e...lter&isManuals .If you have more questions feel free to ask.
Good luck stick1

Old 12-16-09, 03:21 PM
It sounds like you may have taken out the gears in tha auger gearbox. If neither the auger or impeller will turn, that is what it most likely is. Expensive repair. The parts alone run about $180 plus the gear lube, plus labor if you have it done at a shop. Labor for that repair can cost $300 or more.

Old 12-16-09, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by indypower1 View Post
It sounds like you may have taken out the gears in tha auger gearbox. If neither the auger or impeller will turn, that is what it most likely is. Expensive repair. The parts alone run about $180 plus the gear lube, plus labor if you have it done at a shop. Labor for that repair can cost $300 or more.
I believe if the (auger gears) were blown the impeller would still spin

Old 12-16-09, 06:42 PM
If both the Auger & Impeller won't turn as your post says,, Have you checked the belts yet?? Maybe just a broken belt... Check it out & let us know.... Roger

Old 12-17-09, 06:01 AM
Originally Posted by Stick1 View Post
I believe if the (auger gears) were blown the impeller would still spin
If they were just stripped, the auger would still turn. If one gear is broken, the broken part could wedge and lock up the whole thing. I have seen many gear blow out the side of the gearcase.