48" Northeast snowblower repair

Old 12-17-09, 03:53 AM
48" Northeast snowblower repair

I am trying to remove the main drive pully to inspect the blower fan but can't get the two set screws to back off. I tried heat but brake or twist hex tools. Could these be left hand threads? Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-09, 05:45 AM
Set screws wouldn't be left handed threads. You can always try penetrating oil, which may or may not get you there. PT Blaster works pretty good, but there's a lot of them out there on the auto parts store shelf.

Heat is the fastest way to get it off.

Old 12-18-09, 04:57 AM
Thanks, but as I said I did try heat, I don't want to over heat the metal. I don't think it's corrosion as it's a new blower. I think some kind of thread seal like lock tight was used. I got lots of spay juice so I'll give it a try.

Old 12-18-09, 12:40 PM
Thread locker isn't typically used on set screws. Those have cupped ends.

If this is a new blower and warranty isn't an issue to you working on it, I believe I would get the size of the set screws down for sure and get a 3/8 socket drive allen wrench from an auto parts store. Buy the best grade they have. I doubt if you'll break it and if the screws are relatively new they should come out for you.

Old 12-19-09, 03:20 AM
I'm ahead of you. I have gone through 2- 3/8" drive 5/32" hex sockets (good quality 1Sears, 1 Snap-On), twisted a "t" handle hex wrench after heating them up. I've removed a lot of pullys and set screws in general and have never come across this issue before. I did all this before posting here.

Old 12-19-09, 05:48 AM
The Snap On drive is the best you can do in terms of the tool. If you broke it, that thing is pretty stubborn. The "T" handle won't move what the other drives will.

If it was mine I would go back to the heat. I would heat the pulley base immediately around the screw red hot. I've never had anything that won't take out or off. Anything short of redhot doesn't work. If you have a good heat source like an actylene torch you can heat the small area quickly with getting much transfer to the shaft.

A small propane job isn't enough heat.

Old 12-25-09, 05:45 AM
Thanks for your help. I'm back up and running just in time for a forecast storm coming our way. FYI there was thread lock on the set screws and I did have to heat to cherry red to burn it off, something I was resisting doing for fear of altering the strength of the alloy steel of the pully.