Non-start MTD snow blower

Old 12-19-09, 08:11 AM
Non-start MTD snow blower

Filled previously empty tank and gas came out of the carb (and primer) until my paniced gropping hit the bowl drain valve
which apparently stopped the flow of gas. (Stuck in open position?) That was the "feast". The "famine" part is when I tried to start the engine after the first pull I got a hiccup and then nothing.
Many pulls later I removed the sparkplug and it was clean and dry as a bone. I opened the bowl drain valve and nothing came out. Apparantly the fuel is not feeding the carb. What is my next step?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-09, 08:47 AM
Post model number, etc. from engine.

My guess is the carburetor needs cleaning. The float valve is apparently stuck. Polish the sides of the float valve needle and the hole it sits in using a Q-tip wet with metal polish. I will probably be possible to clean the other parts of the carburetor with an inexpensive aerosol carburetor cleaner.

BEFORE you run the engine, if it is a 4-cycle, check the engine oil for fuel contamination.

Old 12-19-09, 09:32 AM
Thanks Airman

The Tecumseh is model HSSK50 61360N
I will do as you suggested

Old 12-19-09, 10:25 AM
You are in luck. This link Disassembly of Tecumseh Series 1 Carb 632107 is for the exact 632107 non-emission carburetor used on your engine. To correct the fuel problem you may just need to focus on the float inlet needle.

After correcting the current problem, if the engine RPM were to hunt and surge you may have to remove the carburetors welch plug and clean behind it.

Engine number should be - HSSK50-67360N

Another helpful carburetor link:
Tecumseh Carb Floods

Engine service manual link:
http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

Old 12-19-09, 12:58 PM
Well, it looks like I need to replace the seat for the float inlet needle. Thanks for pointing me in the right area