Tecumseh won't stay running

Old 12-19-09, 10:04 AM
Tecumseh won't stay running

I took the carb off my tecumseh HSSK40-55610S engine to clean and rebuild it. Soaked it good, blew it out, replaced the needle seat and needle,float looked good, replaced the idle mixture needle valve and the main. When I got it back on the snowblower it will only run at full choke. If i move it to half choke while it is running it dies. When I try to start it at half choke it runs for a couple seconds and dies. Also it will only start with a couple pumps on the prime. What did I screw up?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-09, 10:37 AM
You did not screw up, you just need to clean a little more. You have a blockage in the carburetor. My guess is in the main nozzle area or behind the welch plug. The service manual shows how to remove and install a welch plug. An inexpensive can of aerosol carburetor should be all you need.

Engine service manual link:
http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf

Very similar carburetor:
Disassembly of Tecumseh Series 1 Carb 632107

Old 12-19-09, 12:59 PM
Thumbs up

Just got back in from outside and that seemed to do the trick. I took the idle mixture screw out and shot some carb cleaner in the hole until it was coming out the air intake. After getting it started and some minor adjustments it is running good. I can throttle it down and back up without it stalling out and it seems to stay running under load, which it wasn't doing before. Thanks for the help.