Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

replace snowblower engine?

12-20-09, 08:09 AM   #1  
replace snowblower engine?

I have been fighting my snowblower for years. i bought it used, its a craftsman 536.886331 engine 143.94001 (HMSK100-159244T). First snow after purchase it would stall immediately on load. I cleaned carb, adjusted and was able to get it to limp through the season. Took it to a shop and they said the cylinders were just about shot. They cleaned it up but said they couldn't guarantee how long it would last. Last season our snow consisted of mostly ice and slush, which it didn't handle well but I gave it the benefit of the doubt because of the conditions. Just cleared our first snow this year and it had trouble in 5" of fresh powder. What are my options for replacing the engine? would I have to buy an entire new engine? or is it better to just bite the bullet and buy a new one? The body is in good shape, all metal chute etc.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-20-09, 12:05 PM   #2  
You might be aware that the company that built your snowblower is out of business, and the company that built your engine is also out of business, so it may be to your benefit to take the couple hundred bucks for a new engine and just buy a new snowblower. However, parts are still available for a lot of murray products for the time being...so you might want to keep the blower and re-power it. Just making you aware that it may soon become difficult to obtain parts for it because the company is no more.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NH

12-20-09, 02:42 PM   #3  
I recomend that you try to sell your present snowblower and buy a new one. You will be much better off putting the $$$ into a new 1 then fixing your old relic. As Cheese stated, parts for both the snowblower & the engine are getting harder to find since both companies are no longer around. Yes, Sears is still here, but the companies that made the snowblower & engine for them are gone.

12-21-09, 04:47 AM   #4  
what kind of value would a broken down machine like this have? $100? less? I bought for $300 and wouldn't feel right selling to someone else under the guise that it functions correctly. My wife thanks you for your advice as she has had enough of me fiddling with this machine.

NH

12-21-09, 05:55 AM   #5  
Posted By: studiomule what kind of value would a broken down machine like this have? $100? less? I bought for $300 and wouldn't feel right selling to someone else under the guise that it functions correctly. My wife thanks you for your advice as she has had enough of me fiddling with this machine.
Look on Craigslist for your area. Also check local classifieds to get a feel of what snowblowers bring in your area. You have a 10 hp, 36" cut. You could part it out. Probably get more that way if you want to take it apart. I would sell it in 3 pieces. The engine...$50. The scoop assembly...$100 (the gear in the auger sells for $88.). The tractor (handlebars, drive, wheels& tires) $50. I sold a used one this way 2 years ago that had blown the auger gears. Parting it out, I got more than it was worth as a whole.

Search this Thread