Snowblower Help

Old 12-20-09, 01:37 PM
Snowblower Help

I feel stupid posting this, but what the hell.

I have an Snow Blower with a 10 horse Tecumseh engine w/electric start.
There is a safety key, which if not in place, will prevent the engine from starting.

Several years ago, I suffered a heart attack, and thus ended my snow blowing days. The gas and oil were drained, and the cylinder was lubricated and the SB was stored in the garage.

Today, my son was over, so I gassed and oiled her up, and attempted to start the engine, but no dice. After a while, I realized that the key was not in place. I could not remember taking it out, but needless to say, I couldn't find it.

When I finally located the 'slot' where the key goes (not as pictured in the manual), I tried to determine whether the key makes (allows spark) the circuit, or breaks (shorts ignition to ground) if absent.

There is what looks like a switch with 2 nubs on it. I tried separating them from the metal on the other side of the slot with a thin piece of wood, then I inserted a wad of aluminum foil in the above space.
Neither method worked. So my thought was that current must/must not flow between the 2 nubs.

I can't remember if the key was plastic (non-conducting), or metal (conducting). I think it was plastic. Is there a specific surface/tab/etc. that must be depressed?

Hoping you guys can shed some light on this and point me in the right direction for a work-around.

Thanks.

V

Last edited by delta l; 12-20-09 at 01:39 PM. Reason: slight correction
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-09, 02:32 PM
The key is plastic. When inserted, it keeps the switch "open" not grounded. When take out, it allows the switch to ground.
The "switch" it kinda like a cotter pin. Insert plastic between the "ll"keeps the switch open. If you try to use metal or anything else that conduct electricity, it will ground out. Go buy a "key" for it. They are only about $3.00.

Old 12-20-09, 04:55 PM
Thanks.

I bought this thing quite a few years back and don't know if SEARS Hardware (where I bought it) would have them, as they all seem to change engine manufacturers frequently.

O.K., I think there are 2 'leaves' on the right side of the slot. I was forcing the wood and the foil on the left side--guess I was grounding out the ignition. Will try again.

delta

Last edited by delta l; 12-20-09 at 04:57 PM. Reason: correction
Old 12-20-09, 05:19 PM
O.K., I'm all wet. After pouring through the manual, I finally found the 'real' slot for the ignition key.

What I had been messing around with, was the 'off' position on the throttle lever, where it slips between 2 contacts to complete (ground out) the circuit.

I will try to buy a real key, but if need be, I should be able to 'fabricate' something.

Thanks again.

delta

Last edited by delta l; 12-20-09 at 05:20 PM. Reason: correction