Yardmachines (MTD) 5 HP 22" snow thrower does not self propel

Old 12-21-09, 01:29 PM
Yardmachines (MTD) 5 HP 22" snow thrower does not self propel

Hi I have Yardmachines (MTD) 5 HP 22" snow thrower.

model# : 31AS611D129 .

I just got it from a friend so I don't know too much about this snow thrower.

But this is very heavy , and I think it should self propled. documentation is very poor, so any one can help me with this it will be great.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-09, 03:37 PM
Group Moderator
Make sure the drive handle is in gear. Also make sure the pin is in the hub connecting the wheel to the axle on both sides.

Old 12-21-09, 04:34 PM
Your snowblower is in deed self propelled. Check the belts. Make sure the cable from the lever is not broken. Let us know what you find.
Go here to find the parts breakdown:

Lawn Mower Parts - Quality Outdoor Power Equipment Parts for MTD Mowers, Lawn Equipment & More

Old 12-25-09, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by Tolyn Ironhand View Post
Make sure the drive handle is in gear. Also make sure the pin is in the hub connecting the wheel to the axle on both sides.
@Tolyn :
how do I do this? "make sure the pin is in the hub connecting the wheel to the axle on both sides"

@ IndyPower1: None of the cables are broken, This unit is like new!

Old 12-26-09, 05:33 AM
Yard Machine

How old is the machine? And are you able to roll in neutral? I have just repaired two of these with same problem. If you are mechanically inclined you can fix this your self. All you would need are a couple tools and some grease.I can walk you through it. Send private message if you need this help.:coffee
Attributes
Base Model -- [31AS611D129 (2004)]
Brand Name -- [Yard Machines]
Color of Unit -- [Black Jack 0691]
Engine -- [Tec 5.0hp HSSK50-67403]
Label Auger -- [777DO7482]
Auger Size -- [22 inches]
Manual -- [769-00861]
Wheel Assy -- [634-0114A]
Retailer-Brand -- [Home Depot - 029, 129, 229, 134, 138, 729, 929]

Last edited by Stick1; 12-26-09 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-26-09, 06:35 AM
Your snowblower is 2004 model. I had 1 in here last month that was hard to push. The gear was stripped. That gear/shaft is $50. Took about an hour to replace. I also replaced the axle & gear shaft bushings.

Old 12-26-09, 08:52 AM
your specs. are correct. But based on looks of the snow blower it is like new. As my friend gave it to me , I am not sure about how much it is used.

I am willing to do this if I can. So sure please walk me through this if you can.

there are total 7 gears 1 through 5 (forward) and 1 & 2 reverse,

I didn't see any neutral. but when I push, it goes forward I didn't see any change in speed by changing gears, even when the gear was 1st/2nd on reverse , I could push it forward with same force...

Thanks for all your help and assistance!

Regards

Old 12-26-09, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by diy50 View Post
@Tolyn :
how do I do this? "make sure the pin is in the hub connecting the wheel to the axle on both sides"
On each side of the axle there is (or should be) a hole with a lynch pin going through both the axle and wheel. If it just goes through the axle, or is missing, the axle will not turn the wheel(s).

Old 12-26-09, 12:50 PM
your specs. are correct. But based on looks of the snow blower it is like new. As my friend gave it to me , I am not sure about how much it is used.

I am willing to do this if I can. So sure please walk me through this if you can.

I didn't see any neutral. but when I push, it goes forward I didn't see any change in speed by changing gears, even when the gear was 1st/2nd on reverse , I could push it forward with same force...

Regards
Put the gear in 3 without motor running. Pull both levers and let me know if you can still move machine. If you can it might be like Indy said , Belt or a case where the cable is not pulling the friction disk in tight to the drive plate. The engine spins the the friction wheel. when you pull on lever it pulls the rubber disk(friction disk) to make contact with friction wheel. Does the machine move at all when running and also when running lift by handles to lift wheels off ground about an inch with clutch engaged and let us know if wheels turn at all.

Old 12-26-09, 04:44 PM

Regards
There is no neutral on any snowblowers. Neutral is when you release the lever on the handlebar. That disengages the friction wheel from the drive disc. You should be able to easily push it when not holding down the lever. Holding down the lever engages the friction wheel to the drive disc.

Old 12-27-09, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by indypower1 View Post
There is no neutral on any snowblowers. Neutral is when you release the lever on the handlebar. That disengages the friction wheel from the drive disc. You should be able to easily push it when not holding down the lever. Holding down the lever engages the friction wheel to the drive disc.
MTD's 600 series had a neutral position prior to 1992.

Old 12-28-09, 04:31 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions..

I updated this video to show that it moves in any gear with/without pulling the leaver.

video

also pics..

pics

so what do I need to fix this!

Old 12-28-09, 08:46 PM
You are going to have to securly prop it up on the auger bucket so you can remove the bottom pan. You will most likely need to replace the rubber friction drive disc. You should not be able to move it with the lever pressed. To see a breakdown, go here:
MTD Corporate :: Homepage

Old 12-30-09, 07:10 AM
@indypower1,

I did not understand your suggestion. I understood, I will need to replace the rubber friction drive disc.

but how should I do it? any video / pics guidence ?

I went to the link that you provided but it goes to general MTD homepage no specific direction on how to do this!

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-30-09, 12:35 PM
Here is a break down of the drive system. You need to remove the bottom pan to gain access.

Old 12-30-09, 12:47 PM
Replacement Gear for MTD 717-1290 & 717-1413,1444

I had a similar problem and found it was the gear shaft-the splines had worn down. If you have an MTD the shaft is no longer available but MTD part # 917-04094 will replace the above shafts. (717-1290, 717-1413 717-1444) It's actually a Yard Machine brand made by MTD. The shaft is virtually identical except it's 7 spline rather than 8 so your machine will go slightly faster. Otherwise it's a perfect fit and less than an hour job to replace it.

Old 12-30-09, 05:45 PM
guys, thank you very much for your help and suggestion. based on what indypower1 has suggested , I might need to replace the friction disk and diagram he provided .

Apperently it is not trivial and looks complex. If I loose one of those screws or assembly I will have bigger issue, So I have decided to go to take this unit to a service station..

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards!