Ariens snowblower shear pins

Old 12-22-09, 12:01 PM
Ariens snowblower shear pins

Hi all..my blower starts up, augers and impeller run fine, but once I contact the snow, it's not forcing the snow up threw the chute. After researching, I discovered that if you start the machine up the augers will rotate without the shear bolts/pins in the 'pipe', but won't have any force to them. So once they hit the snow, they basically stop. First, I'm hoping that someone can confirm or correct that understanding, since I can't think of any other reason why the blower isn't working correctly..if the shear bolts are the problem, I honestly have no idea where they are located on the auger 'pipe' I see about 6 mini holes with some small brass pointy inserts, but not a place for the two (or so I'm told) bolts..

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-09, 01:50 PM
simple fix

Make sure this is the case by trying to spin auger by hand MOTOR NOT RUNNING.If augers spin then needs shear pin. Seems odd that both would be broken. The other thing could be the belt is not tight enough, and would slip when in contact of snow.There is an adjustment for this. There are brass fittings for grease to keep auger from rusting to shaft. Here is a pic of locations. A lot of the time the bolt is sheared off and some still remains in shaft. You need to spin shaft and try to alien holes . At that point take a hammer and nail set and drive the sheared off bolt thru hole. Do not over tighten new bolts(sold at home depot) .

Old 12-22-09, 04:20 PM
The brass pointy things are grease fittings. Grease them. This is to stop wear on the shaft when the shear pin does break. You have to turn the auger, then reach in & turn the impeller by hand to line up the holes. Then you will have to drive out the pin that is left in the shaft with a punch. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE PROPER SHEAR PIN!! DO NOT USE A REGULAR BOLT!!! Shear pins are soft and made to break. A regular bolt will not break and will cause the gears in the gear case to strip. The gear costs around $90 plus 2-3 hours labor to replace. You can find shear pins at any small engine shop.

Old 12-22-09, 06:16 PM
thanks for the info. guys..I did buy the shear bolts at Lowe's which they say is for my machine..that pic will definitely help me find the pin hole and line the bolt up right..

Old 12-22-09, 07:24 PM
Another shear pin problem?

I have an Ariens 932 series snowblower; but my problem is a bit different. The auger seems to work fine. lt does not turn on the auger shaft when the snowblower is shut down. When running the auger seems to draw-in the snow with no trouble.

The problem occurs when the snow reaches the impeller. If the auger is drawing a lot of snow, the impeller will not throw it. The snow comes slowly out of the discharge chute, like toothpaste out of the tube. When shut down, I can reach in the discharge chute and easily turn the blades on the impeller.

My hypothesis is that the shear pins on the impeller have broken. I am referring to the pins that attach the impeller to the shaft & worm gear assembly. Are these shear pins?

If I am right, how do I replace these pins? I have the owner's manual and the service manual, but neither of these gives instructions for replacing the impeller pins.

I am new to this forum and this is my first post, so I apologize in advance if I am breaking any rules with this posting.

Old 12-22-09, 09:03 PM
First, check the belts. Make sure they are not worn and make sure the idler puts tension on the belt.

The impeller on your machine is held on by "roll pins". To replace, you need to punch them out using a hammer & punch. Depending on how old the machine is, you will most likely need to use an oxy-accetalyne toch. Big problem is that the fins are usually in the way to get a good swing with the hammer.

Old 01-02-10, 02:36 PM
Shear Pin not lining up

Hi, I have an ariens Deluxe 27 with the same issue as the other posters. Once half of my auger will not throw snow.
The shear pin has clearly broken off as I cannot see the nut or head of the pin.

But when I look closely I can see the broken shear pin in the shaft, but it is not horizontally lined up with the auger hole so I am unable to remove/replace it. How can I replace the shear pin?

thanks!

Last edited by hfxdad; 01-02-10 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typos
Old 01-03-10, 12:10 PM
With the Engine off& the Sparkplug disconnected just reach in & rotate the impeller & hold the auger till they line up...Drive the old one out with a punch & hammer & as said by Indy,, Use the proper shear bolt...... Roger

Old 01-03-10, 12:24 PM
Roger. Thanks for the reply.
The problem isn't that I can't line up the pin by rotating the auger. It's that when the holes _are_ lined up by rotation they are not in-line horizontally, the auger seems to be over to the left of the driveshaft. I can't seem to push the pin through without enlarging the hole on the auger.

thanks

Old 01-03-10, 05:21 PM
Shear pin Horizontal Allignment

Originally Posted by hfxdad View Post
Roger. Thanks for the reply.
The problem isn't that I can't line up the pin by rotating the auger. It's that when the holes _are_ lined up by rotation they are not in-line horizontally, the auger seems to be over to the left of the driveshaft. I can't seem to push the pin through without enlarging the hole on the auger.

thanks
The auger can slide to the left or right on the shaft by as much as 1/4 inch. I was able to fix mine by clearing out the snow that was holding mine too far to the left and then push the auger to the right to align the holes. You need good lighting to get the alignment right. This allowed me to tap the old pin out with a small hammer and a bolt that is a little smaller than the shear pin. Hope it works for you as well.

Old 10-30-11, 04:14 AM
Hello, Usually one side of the auger needs pins when they break. My question is does it matter if the grease fittings are all lined up in a row or should they be 180 degrees off. looking at the way the auger works, it looks like they should be 180 degrees off because of the way the auger brings the snow up to the impeller. should one side of the auger bring the snow up to the impeller at a time ? this should mean the grease fitting should be 180 degrees off(meaning after greasing one side you would have to rotate the auger 180 degrees to grease the other side). It looks like if you have all the grease fittings lined up.... both sides of the auger would bring the snow up to the impeller together. it seems the machine would run better if the grease fitting were not all lined up together....does this make sense or does it not matter.... Thanks for any reply

Old 01-03-12, 05:31 PM
all,
my 921022 Deluxe 28 started to shake violently when engaging the auger.
engine runs smooth and it drives just fine.
help...
jeeprisk