Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn Tractor Engine Replacement Recommendations?

CT

12-24-09, 09:18 AM   #1  
Lawn Tractor Engine Replacement Recommendations?

I have a 1980 vintage JD lawn tractor that was originally equipped with an 11 h.p. B&S. I replaced it 5 years ago with a new 12.5 h.p. B&S, model 28R707, Type 1120E1 (Power Built) which recently dropped a valve seat. I haven't yet tried re-installing the valve seat and peening but I don't have much confidence this would be a lasting repair. Since leave mulching duties are hard on the engine, I'm thinking I might put a more powerful engine in there. Does anyone know if the engine mounting hole patterns have changed on the newer OHV engines? Also, the engine height is limited by the fuel tank placement (just above engine, on aft side of firewall). The current engine just barely clears the fuel tank mount structure. I know I can buy a new 17 h.p. lawn tractor for $1000 but they seem so flimsy in most details...

Sponsored Links

TN

12-24-09, 11:27 AM   #2  
Below is a link to a website that may help:

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/...and=John Deere

CT

12-24-09, 01:10 PM   #3  
Thanks Airman. The link does have my tractor, a JD 111. A neat site for sure. Unfortunately there are no options listed for engines.

Search this Thread