Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Scott's with issues

12-26-09, 02:41 PM   #1  
Scott's with issues

Sorry for the long story.

I gave this mower to my son in law. It quit on him and he let it sit for over a year. I finally went over and picked it up to see if I could fix it.

Turning the key wouldn't do anything but the battery was good. I found that I could turn it over by shorting across the solenoid. When doing that I noticed one of the posts on the solenoid was loose and about the fall off. I replaced it but still nothing. I check the ignition switch next and found one of the posts had corroded off. Replaced it...still nothing.

Getting aggrivated at this point.

I started looking at safety switches and didn't find anything obvious there. Checked some voltages, particuarly at the carb shut off switch. It showed some strange voltage readings, like .9 volts. I ran me a wire from the battery just to test and I could hear it click.

Still wouldn't start with key but I could short the solenoid and it would crank.

I just can't figure out where the problem lies on this thing...
Got any ideas?

Chuck

Sponsored Links

IA

12-26-09, 03:20 PM   #2  
See if you have current going into the switch on a hot wire and going out of the switch (start position) on the wire going to the solenoid. Then check for current at the solenoid on the small wire coming from the switch. If you have everything OK to this point you likely have a bad solenoid, but before you replace it clean all your terminals and cable connections.

12-26-09, 05:09 PM   #3  
Would the safety switches cause power to not go to the solenoid on the carb?

I've been checking voltage again. It's strange because I am measuring low voltage. And it's different depending where I check it. 3v or 7 volts...strange.

Also I can turn the key off and measure 8v coming in but turn the key to the on position and it drops to 3 something.

Sounds like a short somewhere but so far can't find it.

When I had it running I got 12.1 volts at the battery, turned it off and got the same 12.1.

Chuck

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-26-09, 10:19 PM   #4  
Sounds like the connector at the ignition switch is also corroded. Read the voltage at the carb solenoid while wiggling the connector. I bet the voltage will vary greatly while doing so. If so, the connector needs repair.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

12-27-09, 06:45 AM   #5  
Posted By: cheese Sounds like the connector at the ignition switch is also corroded. Read the voltage at the carb solenoid while wiggling the connector. I bet the voltage will vary greatly while doing so. If so, the connector needs repair.

Tried that with no luck. Is there a way to disconnect all safety switches to take them out of the picture?

Chuck

12-27-09, 10:30 AM   #6  
I think that John Deere gave me the wrong ignition switch. I can disconnect it and check continuity and everything seems fine. Put the switch back on and everything is screwy.

If I had a correct switch wiring diagram I could swap the wire around.

Chuck

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-28-09, 12:28 AM   #7  
I have no idea what the wiring of the connector should be. Usually the switch has letters that correspond to the wires that connect to it (L for lights, M for magneto, B for battery, G for ground, S for solenoid).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

12-29-09, 03:25 PM   #8  
I finally found it Beer 4U2

I just by sheer accident grabbed a connector that was behind the battery and it fell apart in my hand. It had corroded and nearly broken the wires. It explains all the funky voltage readings.

I stripped the wires back and connected with and it fired right up.

Chuck

Search this Thread