Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman 18.5 tractor no power

CANADA

12-28-09, 02:35 PM   #1  
Craftsman 18.5 tractor no power

I have a Craftsman 18.5 tractor with mtd blower attached.
Seems to work good for 30 mins approx then starts loosing rear drive torque? (can't backup up driveway) very minimal incline. Suspecting problems with the Tranaxle oil heating up or something within the tranaxle.
Would like to know how to go about changing the oil on the transaxle its a Hydro-gear 319-0650.
I have the exploded parts diagram but can see no oil level check or fill point.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-28-09, 06:33 PM   #2  
I would first verify that the belt isn't slipping, although I don't think that's your problem. I don't recall that tranny having a drain plug and fluid change requires tranny removal. I have never changed the fluid and had success. Most times the fluid has aluminum in it (grey metallic color) and indicates the tranny is worn out when it gets to the point that you're describing.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CANADA

01-01-10, 04:37 AM   #3  

Thanks for your help. You have confirmed what i had suspected.
The belt is worn and budgeted for replacement (need about a three hour span of time and 50$ish at the same time).
The belt slips occasionally but i can tell when it's the belt slipping.
Hopefully I can limp through the winter without takig the tranaxle out. on a good day I can blow the driveway without having to push the tractor :-).
Thank again.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-01-10, 03:35 PM   #4  
Nah, maybe 1/2 hour to change it and if you give me a model # from the mower, I can give you a belt size to use as a substitute for the sears belt so you can buy a $20 belt instead.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CANADA

01-02-10, 03:52 AM   #5  
Beer 4U2
Thank you;
I live in rural Ontario, can.
There is a Canadian tire store in town 15mins away with fractional horsepower belts of any length for sale(cheap and would do in a pinch).
Approx 30min drive away is a Home Hardware with an MTD authorized service area. Bought the drive belt for The blower there.
Hence the 3hr block of time Get the blower off the ground far enough to get at the belt (i have jacks and planks).
Remove the belt easy enough 15 mins, go to HH. get a quality replacement Same size. I just guessed at 50$ being the max it is a fairly long belt 54 inch range. (The drive belt for the blower was 85$taxes included (97inch long)).
Get down to The MTD dealer. Its actually one of those cool places to go parts for anything you can imagine nothing blister packed or labled with a old guy who knows the approx location of anything.
Belts of any length hanging up with hand written tags for length and price.
(I miss the good old days)
It pretty much kills an afternoon.
Get home get the belt on.
Some people like to under estimate how long things take. I normally over estimate. Belt in hand it is only a stretch out the old one lift it off fish it past the blower, new one on the way the blower is attached I don't think the belt for it even has to come off. With the mower deck on it has to come off to change the drive.
Enjoy Your Weekend.
Happy New Year.
thank u.

Search this Thread