Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Front and rear axle covers

AL

12-29-09, 02:11 PM   #1  
Front and rear axle covers

Could someone please explain a simple way to remove the small round "rubber" axle covers from a riding lawn mower? The ones that push onto a 1-1/2"(approximately)flat washer. I can finally get them off...however its usually a real job.

Sponsored Links

12-30-09, 11:15 AM   #2  
I'm hoping for some good tips on this one. Last time I removed these caps, I gave up and cut them off, then replaced them with new ones.

I'm thinking softening them up by heating with a hair dryer might help, but a concern with that is that when softened, whatever you use to grab and pull on them (I've been using channel locks) will tear them more easily.

AL

12-30-09, 12:33 PM   #3  
I finally heated them with a hair dryer set on "high". Then took a pair of channellocks and pinched the end together and it came off fairly easily.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-31-09, 05:26 PM   #4  
I usually just use channel locks and pinch them and pull to get them off as well. Once in a while you get ahold of a hardened one that doesn't give easily and it's a bit hard to get it off.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread