Cheese-let me ask you a question

Old 01-01-10, 03:26 PM
Cheese-let me ask you a question

Cheese, you being a Craftsman mechanic, let me ask you a question. On a Craftsman rider #917.272083, is there a simple way to change the drive belt, without dropping the transaxle? I can't seem to get the stacked pulley off.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-10, 03:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yeah, lock the brake pedal down to relax the belt, then pop the belt over one side of the tranny pulley with the belt between the fan blades, then rotate the pulley to walk the belt off the tranny pulley. Then it will be loose enough to get it over the larger pulley for the blade belt that is in the way and it will come off. I usually do these without removing any parts, with no tools, in 15 minutes or so. Some of them have a belt guide that is hard to slip the belt between. If yours is that way, it will take a little longer to persuade the belt off and back on. In just a few cases, I've had to take the battery box out to gain access to the belt guide to get it off.

Old 01-02-10, 05:16 PM
I finally managed to get the belt on but there was very little "extra" to get the belt on. Thank goodness for flexible fan blades on the transaxle! Thanks for giving me the confidence that it would fit.

Old 01-03-10, 05:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it! Yep, it does flex the fan blades a bit.