Tecumseh HMSK100 Governor Linkage

Old 01-01-10, 11:29 PM
Tecumseh HMSK100 Governor Linkage

Problem: Can't properly adjust the governor linkage and speed control to provide proper high idle and control under loaded conditions.

I have a 1994 John Deere TRS32 Snow Blower (built by Noma) that has never been a reliable machine, but I keep it running just the same. It has a Tecumseh HMSK100 engine that I recently rebuilt with a carb kit. In the process of disconnecting the fuel line and removing the carburetor the throttle linkage to the governor may have gotten bent or the governor arm may have loosened from it's connection to the governor shaft. Either way, I'm having difficulty getting the governor and carburetor to adjust properly to handle increased loads. I've attempted to loosen and adjust the governor arm but I don't know the proper position or adjustment method to provide good power. The idle and main fuel adjustments have been set and provide good smooth sound. I have the Tecumseh Small Engine Technician Handbook, but it does not provide info on the horizontal engine governor linkage adjustment. Could you provide guidance on how to make this adjustment or isolate the potential problems?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-10, 09:15 AM
Did you ever get an answer anywhere? I've downloaded multiple manuals and answers all of which apply to a different governor hookup. I've got mine back together and running but plan to try to fine tune today. Something is still wrong as it doesn't maintain speed under load. Most replies say there are many different hookups so record yours before you take it apart. Not much help when you're trying to fix it.

Old 01-27-10, 01:55 PM
No answer to my problem. To make matters worse the engine blew.

I adjusted the linkage many times until I though it sounded good and gave improved power under load. I used the snowblower for one storm, but was not satisfied with the performance. When the next storm came a day or two later my son went out to get the snowblower started and clear some of the driverway. Within 2 minutes the engine revved to high speed and blew!! I heard the engine running but before I could get outside to shut it down the thing let go and blew a hole in the side of the motor. Looks like a connecting rod broke.

I have since found the same model snowblower on Craigslist and purchased it for $100. It has a replacement motor that is half the age of the snowblower. Its a good deal, but not the way I planned to fix my problem.

Good Luck,

MFC_HMSK100 Beer 4U2

Old 01-27-10, 03:16 PM
Unfortunate, but glad it worked out. Warning to others to make sure the low speed idle is set so when the throttle is set to slow, the engine slows accordingly, cause otherwise you could turn it down only to have it rev to the consequences you experienced