Engine operation question

Old 01-03-10, 06:09 AM
Engine operation question

Have an Ariens 28" snow blower with a Tecumsuh engine; have never had an issue with starting and maintain my equipment very well (always run it dry of gas) with proper oil and lub etc.

I noticed starting last year that especially when it idles, the engine speed fluctuates up and down, never stalls or anything but sometimes even makes what sounds like a silent backfiring. When it is working through the snow it always runs fine but just at low speeds while sitting does this occur. Any ideas as to what I might look for or adjust? Maybe the carburator just needs to be tweeked, I just do not want to fool with it too much since there is no starting problem etc, it is just this engine speed fluctuation that I know is not right. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-10, 06:30 AM
Try a couple oz of Seafoam in the gas. It will take about 15 mins of running at low speed to clean out the low speed circut.
Also, add a couple oz of Isyproprl dry gas.

Old 01-03-10, 09:50 AM
To Indypower1

Thanks for the quick response but something baffles me; a few years ago I was having an issue with my big zero turn mower; I had put some dry gas in with the gas I was using because where the mower was stored, between the sun and temp in early spring I did not want condensation to form in the tank and cause issues. After have some engine problems and finding out it was the dry gas causing the problem, I was told my two different mower repair places that you never use dry gas in these small engines.......they are quite different from large engines like a car. So.........one I had gotten through that one tank on the mower, I filled it with gas without putting any dry gas in and never had issues after that.
That being said, what would make a motor on a snow blower different than on a mower that would allow one to use dry gas and not have issues, or are these people in the repair shop just blowing hot air? Only thing I use in the winter now is Sta-bil, since my one can of gas may sit for a couple monthys as I use the gas.

Old 01-03-10, 01:28 PM
I have never used DRYGASŪ and do not see a need to. I think it would not matter whether you used gasoline treated with DRYGASŪ or without. I am not a fan of STA-BIL but that is just me. I prefer to use SEA FOAM Motor Treatment as a fuel stabilizer in my personal equipment.

The RPM fluctuation you first posted about is a classic indication of a fuel passage in the carburetor blocked. Indypower1 is recommending using SEA FOAM Motor Treatment as a means of dissolving the blockage without having to disassemble and clean the carburetor.

Old 01-03-10, 02:28 PM
There are 2 types of drygas.
1). Methonal. This is the cheap useless stuff that only causes problems in EVERYTHING. Eats up aluminum & rubber parts (including hoses). Cost about .99 cents/bottle.
2).Isyopropel. This is the best dry gas. This will actually disolve ice. This is the ONLY drygas most people use up here in the frozen north. No harm to aluminum or rubber parts Costs $1.50-$2.00/bottle.
Only use at 1 oz. per gallon.

Old 01-04-10, 05:52 AM
thanks

Now I will have to t ry and locate that Seafoam Motor treatment, that stuff sounds great. I will have to check the dry gas I have here, I am glad you explained the difference because I am not sure most would know that,,,,,,,,,we tend to buy that kind of stuff on sale!

Appreciate all the feed back and once I can find where to buy the stuff I will try it and give you some feed back.

Have a good and Happy New Year.

Old 01-04-10, 08:40 AM
You can find both at any auto parts store.

Old 01-04-10, 01:43 PM
Found it!

Thanks for all the input and suggestions, great help. I found the stuff at advanced auto and the person checking me out told me the was is absolutely great.

Put an ounce in the gas tank and some in the 5 gallon gas can, will keep an eye out and see if things change. Had never heard to the product until now.

Have a great new year