Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda EM2200 Generator issue

NH

01-03-10, 02:11 PM   #1  
Honda EM2200 Generator issue

I have an old Honda EM2200x generator that is giving me erratic voltages. Starts up and runs fine...the voltage just seems to jump around quite a bit. If I plug in a 500w halogen light...the light will "pulsate" for lack of a better term. Then, after running for a bit, the light will burn steady for a bit. After a few minutes...it will start pulsating again.

I'm thinking voltage regulator...but I have no service manual...so I'm not really sure.

Could anything else be causing this? Any way to test the regulator?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-03-10, 04:52 PM   #2  
Check output voltage with a meter. I am not a generator expert, but I would first suspect either engine rpm or capacitor(s) before regulator as a cause of your problem.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TN

01-03-10, 07:29 PM   #3  
If you feel, you have the electrical skills and test equipment I will help you with your generator. I have the service manual, which is a rather complicated PDF format with links. You will need a tachometer and a multimeter. You will need to have a means to test frequency although there is a way to guestimate it.

Let me know if you are up to it.

NH

01-04-10, 05:49 AM   #4  
I took some voltage and freq measurements today.

When I first fire up the generator and let it warm up for a few minutes I get voltage readings from 89-114 volts. The gen. has an analog voltage meter built in, and it swings back and forth pretty good. Freq is 60-61 Hz...and stays stable. Plugging in a 500w halogen lamp...I get the same results.

After about 4-5 minutes running under load....the voltage will stabilize a bit. Voltage stays at 110-118v. The halogen lamp, and the built in green lamp on the generator will still continue to pulsate a bit though. Freq. remains 60-61 Hz.

After 4-5 minutes of running like this, you can hear an audible change in the generator, and the voltage goes back to a wide range of 89-114 volts.

This cycle will keep on continuing.

Airman...I need to get a tach to use on small engines. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

NH

01-05-10, 05:34 AM   #5  
Airman....I forgot to add....I am up to it and would greatly appreciate any help!
Thanks

TN

01-05-10, 07:47 AM   #6  
Because of all the snow here and power outages, I am terribly busy. I will get back to you as soon as I can.

As for a tachometer, the Vibra Tach is inexpensive and accurate. If you like high tech spend more and go digital. Shop around for best prices.

Briggs & Stratton - Vibra Tach / Tachometer 19200

TREYSIT Sirometer, revolution-meters, frequency-meters, resonance-meters

NH

01-05-10, 09:08 AM   #7  
No worries Airman...when you have the time. This is a back up genny for me...so it's not ultra important right now.

I was just looking at those vibra tachs yesterday....I'll have to order one.

Thanks

NH

01-20-10, 03:32 PM   #8  
Just wanted to post an update:

The old Honda is back in action! The automatic voltage regulator was bad.

Thanks for the help Airman!

Search this Thread