Honda EM2200 Generator issue

Old 01-03-10, 02:11 PM
Honda EM2200 Generator issue

I have an old Honda EM2200x generator that is giving me erratic voltages. Starts up and runs fine...the voltage just seems to jump around quite a bit. If I plug in a 500w halogen light...the light will "pulsate" for lack of a better term. Then, after running for a bit, the light will burn steady for a bit. After a few minutes...it will start pulsating again.

I'm thinking voltage regulator...but I have no service manual...so I'm not really sure.

Could anything else be causing this? Any way to test the regulator?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-10, 04:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check output voltage with a meter. I am not a generator expert, but I would first suspect either engine rpm or capacitor(s) before regulator as a cause of your problem.

Old 01-03-10, 07:29 PM
If you feel, you have the electrical skills and test equipment I will help you with your generator. I have the service manual, which is a rather complicated PDF format with links. You will need a tachometer and a multimeter. You will need to have a means to test frequency although there is a way to guestimate it.

Let me know if you are up to it.

Old 01-04-10, 05:49 AM
I took some voltage and freq measurements today.

When I first fire up the generator and let it warm up for a few minutes I get voltage readings from 89-114 volts. The gen. has an analog voltage meter built in, and it swings back and forth pretty good. Freq is 60-61 Hz...and stays stable. Plugging in a 500w halogen lamp...I get the same results.

After about 4-5 minutes running under load....the voltage will stabilize a bit. Voltage stays at 110-118v. The halogen lamp, and the built in green lamp on the generator will still continue to pulsate a bit though. Freq. remains 60-61 Hz.

After 4-5 minutes of running like this, you can hear an audible change in the generator, and the voltage goes back to a wide range of 89-114 volts.

This cycle will keep on continuing.

Airman...I need to get a tach to use on small engines. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Old 01-05-10, 05:34 AM
Airman....I forgot to add....I am up to it and would greatly appreciate any help!
Thanks

Old 01-05-10, 07:47 AM
Because of all the snow here and power outages, I am terribly busy. I will get back to you as soon as I can.

As for a tachometer, the Vibra Tach is inexpensive and accurate. If you like high tech spend more and go digital. Shop around for best prices.

Briggs & Stratton - Vibra Tach / Tachometer 19200

TREYSIT Sirometer, revolution-meters, frequency-meters, resonance-meters

Old 01-05-10, 09:08 AM
No worries Airman...when you have the time. This is a back up genny for me...so it's not ultra important right now.

I was just looking at those vibra tachs yesterday....I'll have to order one.

Thanks

Old 01-20-10, 03:32 PM
Just wanted to post an update:

The old Honda is back in action! The automatic voltage regulator was bad.

Thanks for the help Airman!