Sears gt 16 twin

Old 01-04-10, 05:10 PM
Sears gt 16 twin

I sure hope someone can help me I have an older Sears GT 16 hp Twin lawn tractor I desperatly need it to plow snow in Pa. when it runs its very strong but I have to run it full choke and now thats not even working anymore. The engine is a 16hp twin cyl. not the Vangaurd model mine has the opposing horizontal cyl.s. The problem is the carb. is the type that has the fuel pump mounted on the side in a small box that works off of the engine vac. I have rebuilt the carb. a couple of times set the float over and over checked the fuel lines and filter the only thing I haven't done is to check the vac.line from the carb. to the engine block which I am going to do tommorow I have to tear the whole front end [sheet metal] off to get to it. It looks like there might be some kind of fitting or check valve where it goes into the block. Anyway I can't get my numbers to match anything on the Briggs and Stratton site. Model No.01707 Type 0130 01 Code 78042612 Thanks for looking and I sure hope to hear from someone with a site or some other info. I wish I could just put some kind of elec. fuel pump on or something this carb. has been nothing but problems for me for a long time but when it runs it strong. I put my hand over the carb. and the suction is very strong. Thanks again John

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-10, 05:20 PM
Can you post the tractor number? Should be XXX.XXXXXX

Old 01-04-10, 06:32 PM
Sears gt 16

I don't know where it is located I think it maybe a 1978 or somewhere near that. Where do they usally put the tactor number? Thanks John

Old 01-04-10, 07:02 PM
Check under the seat. Have a good one. Geo

Old 01-04-10, 07:08 PM
Your engine model number is in error, look closer.

Old 01-04-10, 07:20 PM
Sears gt 16

Man o man I have checked and double checked the engine number an keep coming up with the same one it is still clearly engraved and the tractor number doesn't seem to be under the seat I looked quickly I will look again in the morning. Has anyone ever delt with this type of vacumn powered fuel pump before I hate it I have rebuilt auto 4 barrels before and never had these problems. I just may try somekind of electric fuel pump sounds crazy but I am desperate I am snowed in. Thanks John

Old 01-05-10, 01:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think you're missing a number 4 at the beginning of your engine model number. Most opposed cylinder briggs twins started with 4, making yours 401707 which is a good number for a 16 hp briggs opposed cylinder engine.

When you rebuilt the carb, did you take out the drain plug and remove the main jet through the drain plug hole and clean the area behind the main jet?

Old 01-05-10, 05:06 AM
Sears gt 16

Beer 4U2 Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, Cheese, Airman,Geogrubb and Indypower1. The number 4 must have worn off it is just not there but thats my engine number with the 4 in front of it. Now at least I have somewhere to start this morning I will keep you posted. Thanks again John

Last edited by JOHNNY BE GOOD; 01-05-10 at 05:09 AM. Reason: Left out Geogrubb"s name who also replied to help
Old 01-05-10, 01:09 PM
Sears gt16 fixed

Well its finally fixed I don't know how but a small bug worked its way into the small square box on the side of the carb. the vac. operated fuel pump but it was in there rotting away in peices clogging up the main jet. I have a filter on the fuel line right at the carb. anyhow my snow is plowed and more is on its way. Thanks all I sure hope I can help someone someday it means alot to us DIY'ers. John Beer 4U2

Old 01-05-10, 04:25 PM
Success is a wonderful sound. Have a good one. Geo

Old 02-10-11, 07:36 AM
your model number is under the hood on the back of the dash on a plate, but here it is 917.257090, and I went into sears.com and they have the diagrams their to pick out what you want or need, hope this help you. Rich55

Search this Thread