MTD 8/26 2 Stage Snowblower

Old 01-05-10, 05:09 PM
MTD 8/26 2 Stage Snowblower

Someone gave me an 8HP MTD 8/26 Snowblower and I'm defintely new to mechanics. It hasn't been started for about 3-4 years I was told. So I checked the oil, o.k. Added good gas. It has electric starter, but when I go to plug into the wall the starter starts without me pushing it. I was going to take off the electric starter that was on top of the motor but it seems to be put together pretty strong. I tried to pull start it and didn't have any luck either. Could someone give me some help that I could start with or send me in the right direction. Thanks and I hope that I don't seem to dumb for the forum. LOL....

Serial # 1I096B80207
Model # 317E742F352

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-10, 08:57 PM
The button for the strter is stuck. Not surprising since it has set for 3 years. That button is just that. Only the start button. And that is only held on by 2 sheet metal screws. Most likely rusted.
To see if it will start, pull the spark plug, pour a couple oz. of gas down the plug hole, install the plug and pull. It should run for 5-10 seconds. If it does, then you will need to clean the carb due to the fact that it has been sitting for 3 years.

Old 01-06-10, 05:12 PM
I did that this evening with the gas in with the spark plug. And it worked....So NOW I have to work on the carb., so with that being said. I pushed the bottom of the carb and got some liquid @ the bottom of it...But it didn't smell like gas it was a different smell. I'm going to research online and see if I can find a way to clean it and take it apart and start from scratch. Thanks for all your help......

Old 01-06-10, 05:51 PM
Group Moderator
If you can get that old gas out of the carb and get some good gas in there it might run. My MTD blower is not used very much but it will still start on the first pull. Might be worth a shot.

Old 01-06-10, 08:37 PM
You will need to remove the carb, take it apart and soak it in a carb cleaning solution for about 2 hours. Then rinse with water, blow out every hole with compressed air, then install a new carb kit. Then change the oil. Level may look ok, but after sitting for a couple of years, could be water in the oil. Plus, you don't know when the oil was changed last.

Old 01-09-10, 03:34 PM
I took the bowl @ the bottom of the carb. off and it smelled and looked like varnish. Alsot the o-ring was cracked. So I went to Napa and ordered a new carb kit should be in next week. I also changed the oil since I was in the middle of everything. I have another question...I put some alcohol in the gas take to run through the tank and out the carb. to clean up sut, etc. And I didn't see any alcohol coming out the carb. So I went to take off the hose that is hooked @ the bottom of the shutoff valve from the gas tank. But it seemed hard to pull off I didn't want to pull it off and be a pain to put back on or replace. I'm wondering if the hose is plugged...How hard is it to replace to hose from the shutoff valve to the engine/carb? I'm learning as I'm going... Thanks for all your help...

Old 01-09-10, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by new2mechanics View Post
I took the bowl @ the bottom of the carb. off and it smelled and looked like varnish. Alsot the o-ring was cracked. So I went to Napa and ordered a new carb kit should be in next week. I also changed the oil since I was in the middle of everything. I have another question...I put some alcohol in the gas take to run through the tank and out the carb. to clean up sut, etc. And I didn't see any alcohol coming out the carb. So I went to take off the hose that is hooked @ the bottom of the shutoff valve from the gas tank. But it seemed hard to pull off I didn't want to pull it off and be a pain to put back on or replace. I'm wondering if the hose is plugged...How hard is it to replace to hose from the shutoff valve to the engine/carb? I'm learning as I'm going... Thanks for all your help...
I hope you got a can of soaking carb cleaner. Your carb is all varnished up on the inside. You need to take it a part and soak it for about 4 hours. Then rinse off in a bucket of clean water, the blow out ALL holes with compressed air.
The hose can be tough to get off as the fitting is a 1-way barbed fitting. Kinda looks like >>>. I always clamp them. Carefully slice the hose with a razor knife. Do NOT cut too deep as the fitting is plastic and you dont want to cut into that.

Old 01-09-10, 05:05 PM
I did get some carb cleaner and I sprayed the inside of the bowl that was varnised up. I did not take the carb off the motor. I was a little nervous about doing that. Do I need to do that? I did spray the cleaner everywhere, just not for sure if that is enough. Also is there a website that I could goto and get detailed info on taking apart and reasembly?

Old 01-09-10, 07:22 PM
Yes you need to take the carb off the motor. Spray carb cleaner will NOT do anything for the tiny holes inside the carb that are also varnished up. The only way to clean them is to soak them.

Old 01-09-10, 08:23 PM
I pretty much had the same thing happen to me as well with a friend giving me their old snowblower. And it sounds like I have about the same amount of experience as you in terms of small engine maintenance.

While i think it's probably a nice ideal to get the carb off, I didn't feel comfortable messing with some of the linkages and gaskets. It would have been a matter of biting off way more than I could chew at the time. I would have been banging my head looking at diagrams to sort it all out again. I was still getting used to the idea of looking in the bottom of the carb.

Ultimately I decided to just clean as much of it as a I can with the carb still mounted....

I bought the carb kit for mine and did most everything in it except the idle screw and welch plugs on my tecumseh hssk50 engine. It's obviously a bit more difficult with the carb still mounted, but if you are careful and patient it's not that bad. Here's what I did for my Tecumseh engine...(not sure what engine/carb you have but some of what I did should apply to you)

The big thing for me was soaking the bowl, float, and nut in carb cleaner. I ended up using the new bowl nut in my kit, but cleaned the old one just in case. Check to make sure the float has no holes in it and is not filled with liquid. If you have to reuse the old bowl nut, make sure to clean the heck out of it as there are some tiny holes in it that have to be cleaned out.

With my snowblower tipped on it's side, I did cover up everything around the carb and tried to spray some carb cleaner into the top half. Seemed to clean it up a quite a bit. Be careful with the carb cleaner is I read it's nasty stuff. Don't get it in the eyes and avoid general contact. I used some disposable gloves I had as it was kind of a messy job with the top half of the carb still bolted.

I also made sure when i had the carb bowl off that fuel was flowing into the carb through the fuel lines. I was tempted to replace the fuel lines too, but ultimately decided against it for the time being since fuel was cleanly flowing through. Just make sure that there are no breaks in either the fuel line or primer hoses and they are all connected properly.

Also, I replaced the spark plug as the one on the snowblower had a decent amount of carbon on it.

It basically started on the second pull after I had everything reassembled (didn't bother with the electric start). It was a bit rough since the bowl nut on the bottom of the carb needed further adjustment per the instructions, but it's probably running better than it ever did.

I've been doing a 1 oz per gallon mix of seafoam now too in the gas. Not sure if it helps, but thought i'd give it a try.

Obviously this may not work for you, but I don't see that there is any major harm in doing it that way. Just a bit harder and not quite as thorough. As indypower1 stated, there still could be tiny holes plugged up and you still might have to do a deeper cleaning of the carb if the partial cleaning doesn't work.

(And if you're able to pull it off and it gets running nicely, I would suggest lubing and greasing the snowblower per the manual.)

Last edited by sparcx; 01-09-10 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-09-10, 08:53 PM
Here's some good pics of carburetor disassembly I found as well:

Small Engine Equipment Troubleshooting, Repairs and Safety

again not sure which carb you have (that site has disassembly for a bunch of them), but it was very helpful to me with getting everything back together.

Here's some Youtube videos I found too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaYs9zfhr0s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ1DVEHKNFg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-67fwPOtwA

Search this Thread