Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Problems with craftsman mower with honda engine

01-11-10, 01:16 PM   #1  
Problems with craftsman mower with honda engine

I have a craftsman mower with a honda 16.5hp motor and the motor is running bad and missing. When you put a load on it like the cutting blades it misses bad and looses power almost like no fuel. I have cleaned the air filter and also took the head covers off to check if the cam belts slipped. Both were in the right place. What now? I did do a search but could not get anything to come up.

Sponsored Links

01-11-10, 05:36 PM   #2  
check on bottom of carburetor, there is a gas sensor with two wires. Make sure they are making proper connection. You can pull the connector off and unscrew the sensor and let some gas run out the carburetor. Then screw it back on and plug it in. If that don't work let me know.

Non-US

01-11-10, 07:13 PM   #3  
Try new plugs & a new air filter... I've found that Honda's are really picky when it comes to fuel & air.. Change them both & let us know how it runs.... Roger

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-12-10, 01:44 AM   #4  
I agree, change the air filter and plugs, even if they look ok. Hondas are funny about that.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

01-12-10, 08:27 PM   #5  
changed air filter and pre filter no change will get plugs and try that and also try the fuel sensor on bottom of carb. I hope I made my self clear on what is going on. The mower idles great and at high gas with no load runs great. When you engage the cutters and run it through grass it starts backfiring through carb almost like it is not getting enough gas.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-14-10, 11:28 AM   #6  
I't probably isn't the plugs, but knowing how Hondas are so prone to funny problems associated with spark plugs, I would put new ones in to eliminate that as a possibility first. If it continues to run badly, I would try unplugging the kill wire to the coils and see if it continues. It could be a safety switch making partial connection. If you do this, the engine will not shut off with the key, so be aware. You can choke it down or pull the plug wires to kill it.

God bless!

01-17-10, 03:46 PM   #7  
I changed the plugs and pulled the sensor wire off the sensor on the bottom of the carb. Cranked the mower mowed some grass and it looks to be working better will let everyone know after some mowing. Thanks so much for the help. Looks like the plugs are very sensitive on this motor.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

01-17-10, 04:51 PM   #8  
Thanks for the update, glad it seems to be fixed. I find that the NGK spark plugs in Japanese engines act up a LOT. I generally replace them with a champion or autolite equivalent and the problems don't come back.

God bless!

Search this Thread