Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snowblower Electrical Question

01-17-10, 09:26 AM   #1  
Snowblower Electrical Question

Iím confused about an AC or DC issue with adding a utility light to a Honda snowblower.

I have a 9 year old Honda HS622.
This: http://www.dkdods.com/powerequipment...wers/HS622.jpg
I have an earlier model without the headlight.

During the process of ordering parts for the auger clutch I found a light kit specifically for the this model: Honda Snow Blower Accerssories : WiseSales.com This looks like a pretty simple install but a fairly common price for it on the net is around $50 (too much). I think a big chunk of that is for the name and a small chunk is for a basic utility light and some mounting brackets.

The machine does have a wire lead on the right side in front of the flywheel that looks like it is where this light kit plugs in.

I found a real basic 12V light at HarborFreight that looks like the light in the kitís schematic. I can mount it easily enough myself. - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

MY QUESTION: I took a multi-meter to the wire off of the engine and checked for voltage. I incorrectly assumed that it would be DC. On a DC setting the needle just twitched. When I switched to AC I got a reading of about 15V AC. After reading on the net how the system works with a ďStatorĒ it makes sense that this is AC instead of DC. The light from HF doesnít specifically state ď12VĒ but I would assume thatís what the normal source would be for it since it is a vehicle application device. Does it matter that the power from the snowblower would be AC? The light kit makes it look like you would just hook this up with the one wire from the light to the one wire off the engine, with the frame being the ground.

I donít know enough about electrical stuff like this to be able to see if this would work and I am afraid to just try it out because I donít want to fry something on the snowblower.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

CO

01-17-10, 10:03 AM   #2  
It's the watts Watson

Light bulbs don't care if they get AC or DC. What matters is how many watts they use. I looked up your model and the stator puts out 50 watts so you need a 12 volt bulb that uses 50 watts or less!!!!!

AJ

01-17-10, 11:45 AM   #3  
Thank you - one more question please.

Thanks for the super quick reply. That's about the conclusion I had come to after lots of web reading - you even stated it about like I would "Light bulbs don't care..."

The light I picked out at HarborFreight says 55watts. What would the ramifications be if I tried to use that light? Would it just not work to it's full capacity (50W output, 55W light) or could it actually harm the system? Would it draw too much wattage and bog down the snowblower (not enough oompf for the sparkplug), or could it actually fry the stator?

I did find a 35W utility light at Northern so I could always order that.

Thank you again!

CO

01-17-10, 12:19 PM   #4  
Watts is Watts

If you exceed the out put of any generator system you will eventually fry the generator. 50 watts means 50 watts not 55. How long it would last is any ones guess there may be enough extra but why risk it.

AJ

01-17-10, 01:15 PM   #5  
Thank You!

Thank you! I'll go with the 35W light.

I appreciate the help.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

01-17-10, 01:58 PM   #6  
Posted By: aj-allen If you exceed the out put of any generator system you will eventually fry the generator. 50 watts means 50 watts not 55. How long it would last is any ones guess there may be enough extra but why risk it.

AJ
Not sure I understand...fry what and how? Magnets spinning by a coil of wire...?

Not sure if this has a separate lighting coil or not, or if it is regulated. My understanding is the gen/alternator, is capable of a certain output regardless the load. This is pre determined by the speed of the engine and the size and wraps of the wire in the coil as well as the magnets.
IIRC Watts = volts x amps
Most systems I have seen are 3-5 amp for small engines.
I would have guessed that using a 55W light would only limit the light from making its full potential output and not otherwise stress the alternator, and using a lower wattage light may result in burning out lights prematurely...

01-17-10, 08:17 PM   #7  
55W bulb

Thanks BFHFixit!

Did a lot more digging after both of these replies. The Honda parts catalogs have 3 different light kits for 5 different models. One of them is for my specific model. Below that group they have ONE listing for a replacement bulb. I'm thinking that it is safe to assume that the light itself is the same for all three light kit models, the difference would be with the mounting brackets. After searching for the specific part number for the replacement bulb (34901-768-000AH) I have finally found multiple sites that list that bulb as a 12V 55W bulb.

I'm thinking that if the Honda replacement bulb is 55W then I am safe to use the $12.99 light from Harbor Freight.

Thanks to all! Beer 4U2

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

01-18-10, 09:41 AM   #8  
Posted By: TimKLL Thanks BFHFixit!

Did a lot more digging after both of these replies. The Honda parts catalogs have 3 different light kits for 5 different models. One of them is for my specific model. Below that group they have ONE listing for a replacement bulb. I'm thinking that it is safe to assume that the light itself is the same for all three light kit models, the difference would be with the mounting brackets. After searching for the specific part number for the replacement bulb (34901-768-000AH) I have finally found multiple sites that list that bulb as a 12V 55W bulb.

I'm thinking that if the Honda replacement bulb is 55W then I am safe to use the $12.99 light from Harbor Freight.

Thanks to all! Beer 4U2
Nice work Sherlock I would agree with your conclusion. I also consider aj a pretty smart feller so I don't mean to discount his advice at all.
These gremlin electrons intrigue me prolly cuz I cant get a Big Framin Hammer to them....

Search this Thread