Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

TroyBilt Auger problem

01-19-10, 05:09 AM   #1  
TroyBilt Auger problem

I have a Troy Bilt 42012 10 HP snow blower with an auger that won't turn. The impeller does turn, but the auger does not. The shear pins are good. I can turn the augers manually without resistance. I fear that I have a stripped worm gear. I have not dismantled the gear box with the hope that there is a hidden shear pin somewhere.

Sponsored Links

NH

01-19-10, 07:06 AM   #2  
There are no hidden shear pins. If you can turn the augers by hand with little or no resistance, yes you have striped the gears. The gear is made of bronze, which is very soft.
Did you buy this used? If so, also replace the shear pins to make sure they are indeed soft shear pins, not just bolts. Using regular bolts is usually the cause of stripping the gears. Shear pins will break before gears strip.

01-19-10, 07:57 AM   #3  
It was purchased new in 96 and the gear box repaired in Dec 2007. I only use shear pins, so I thought there may be an inherent defect with the gear box. No way out but tear it apart and replace the broken stuff.
Thanks

Search this Thread