Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Old Snapper Rider

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

03-04-00, 08:17 AM   #1  
I have an older, (probably 70's), model Snapper rider. The 6 hp Tecumsche engine is toast. I'm trying to find out if there is a particular type engine I need to replace it with or will any old vertical shaft engine do. I've done a lot to fix up this "old girl" including replacing carb, but never put a new engine on.

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

03-06-00, 06:08 AM   #2  
If your Snapper is a non electric start your main concern is to have the same crankshaft pto extension. A number of different engines have been used by Snapper over the years and the main equipment difference is with electronics in regard to electric start systems.

Measure the crankshaft pto lenght and diameter and match that to the engine you have in mind. You may want to move up to a 11 or 12 hp while at it.

------------------

http://nevada4.tripod.c
om/index.html

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

03-06-00, 08:00 PM   #3  
Hian-o

If your engine is TOAST as you claim, you can follow the advice of LMRM when looking for your replacement.

If you choose to mount as large an engine as suggested, 11 to 12 HP, you no longer will have just an ordinary riding lawnmower. You'll have one that pops wheelies and a weekend go cart...hahaha.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

Search this Thread