Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

difficulty starting tecumseh

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

04-19-00, 03:28 AM   #1  
I have a year old Sears pressure washer and it takes a great deal of effort to start it each time I use it. I have contacted customer service without much satisfaction. Does anyone have any suggestions other than "use Briggs and Stratton or Honda"?

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

04-21-00, 07:37 PM   #2  
Hiatrick45

You didn't mention what difficulties your having starting the pressure washer. I'll assume it's after a long period of non useage.

Therefore, I'll make a few suggestions.

If you flushed out the old fuel and added fresh fuel and are still having a difficult time starting, there is most likely clogged ports in the carb.

A carb removal and internal cleaning will then be needed. You can also try a shot of quick start in the carb and see if that helps.

Try leaving the choke ON slightly once the engine has started. If that improves the running, it's a sure bet the carb is clogged.

Try installing a new spark plug too.

After you try these steps, advise your findings and add more detail <be more specific> and I'll try to help more.

Good Luck

------------------
Sincerely,
TomBartco
Trade:Natural Gas Energy Consultant & Technician.
Appliance Service & Repairs Rep.
Vocations:Saw & Tool Sharpening. Small Engine Repairs.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Personal Quote:
"Drive Safely. The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

10-02-04, 10:55 AM   #3  
Difficulty starting a Techumseh engine - followup

I have a similar problem to Patrick45. I have a leaf shreader with a Techumseh engine on it. When I got it the fuel had been left to sit in the tank too long and built up varnish on everything. I removed the gas and the carberator - replaced with new gas and Stabil. Cleaned the carb with cleaner. Made sure the needle valve & seat were no longer sticky. Ran a sewing needle thru the siphon tube. The engine will run on starter fluid but not run on it's own gas, it seems that it's not getting the gas thru. What might I have missed - I gone thru the routine three times - still doesn't keep running.

Visiting Guest

10-02-04, 11:57 AM   #4  
Azis
Will it attempt to start at all without the use of starter fluid? If not are you certain you are getting fuel to the carb? Blockage in the tank, a filter possibly on/off valve?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-03-04, 02:40 AM   #5  
Make sure the holes in the bowl screw are clear. There are probably 3 holes in it. The one tiny hole in an unthreaded section near the end is hard to see when clogged and often gets overlooked.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

10-05-04, 07:50 PM   #6  
difficulty starting Techumseh

Azis & Cheese,

Thanks for your thoughts. I've checked the needle valve and float system by blowing in the inlet to determine if the needle is seating. I rolled the carb over and it closes and when I roll it back again it opens - that should be OK. There is not a needle seat in the plug that holds the bowl to the carb like many other makes do. The plug is necked down and bored out in the center to provide a well for fuel to be sucked up the syphon tube thereby being atomized before pasing the valve and entering the cylinder. I checked the syphon tube with a sewing needle to make sure it is clear. BTW it does not attempt to start unless I use starter fluid. I'm still puzzled.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-06-04, 12:04 AM   #7  
What I am referring to has nothing to do with a needle in the bowl screw. There are passages in the sides of the screw itself....3 of them. They have to be clear to work.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

10-06-04, 09:56 AM   #8  
Azis
Is there new fuel in the bowl when you remove it?
If so the next path for fuel in the carb is the bolt that holds the bowl on, (same as Cheese is refering to). It should have 2 holes in the colar of the shank just above the head that lead to the hole that comes out the center of the shank. You should be able blow through the hole in the threaded end of the bolt.
Is there a small copper or brass tube that you are calling a syphon tube? If so it should not be of concern at this point.

10-07-04, 10:25 AM   #9  
difficulty starting techumseh

Azis & Cheese,

I took your advice and looked for the holes in the plug, I only found one, and ran a needle thru it. It runs like a dream now (except it's too noisey to sleep).
Thanks

PS: Do either of you know anything about a Fire Chief riding mower? My neighbor came over last evening thinking he needed to jump it to start. I checked and the battery is OK and the solenoid has juice, It acts dead like one of those safety switches have disabled it.

Visiting Guest

10-07-04, 07:21 PM   #10  
Azis
See if you can jump accross the lugs on the solenoid and get the starter to turn. If it doesn't turn or attempt to check the connections or the starter.
If it turns, there should be a small lug with a small wire, disconnect the wire and jump 12V to the terminal. If the starter turns its check for a short or switch possibly even the key switch.
Least that should narrow it down.

Search this Thread