Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Trimmer won't start

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-19-00, 07:01 PM   #1  
My string trimmer drips fuel. Last year it would run, but rough and bogged down very easily unless I really finessed the throttle. A few weeks ago I took it apart to clean it up. The cracked fuel line I found apparently is not the leak today and now I can't get the thing to start at all. The plug looks good and the fuel is fresh. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-19-00, 10:11 PM   #2  
Hi:Yukon

Question?: Where is the fuel leaking from?
The carb?
The tank?
A fuel line seal?

To attempt to start the engine, remove the fuel line at the carb and be sure fuel flows first. Then prime the engine with a few drops of fuel in the spark plug hole and see if it starts.

Reply back if you need further assistance.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

05-31-00, 07:02 PM   #3  
Yukon -

I had a rough running string trimmer some time back. I bought it second-hand from a garage sale. It started briefly and I kept having to fool around with the throttle adjustments to keep it running. It almost always conked out under a load.

I took the carb. apart, rebuilt it, but I couldn't get it to start. I checked the plug for spark and I must have jarred something loose because it wouldn't spark. I replaced the spark plug and wire and put it back together. It ran rough again, but at least it started.

I finally took the whole thing apart and noticed the doggone muffler screen was caked almost solid with carbon deposits. I scrubbed it off with a wire brush, put it together and it purred like a kitten.

While this may not cure your fuel leak, it could be that you have more than 1 problem like I did.

I later found out that improper fuel adjustments make the carbon build up very quickly on the muffler screen. My brother had a similar prob. and sure enough, his screen was clogged too.

Hope this helps!

Scott

Search this Thread