Leaking Oil

Old 06-28-00, 07:54 AM
I have an 11 Hp BS lawn tractor that is leaking oil (streaming) from the front of engine. Is there a seal or gasket that could be leaking or am I looking at an over haul? It loses about 1/2 qt in 3 hrs running time. I can't tell exactly where it is leaking out but it appears to be in front. The exhaust comes out on the side just behind where the leak is. I just had surgery and can't get down to really see. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Robert

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-00, 07:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi:Robertk

Without a clear look, it would be a guess.
The engine would have to be cleaned first then with the engine running, look for the oil leak.

My off handed guess would be it is NOT engine oil, based on the rate of oil loss you discribed. However, do check the engines oil level to be sure.

Next possibilty could be hydraulic oil?
Does this engine have a PTO? If so, a fitting could be loose, a hose has a crack or hole in it or a seal could be defective.

Have someone clean the oily area and check for leaks with the engine running, if you unable to. The problem should then be discovered.

Sorry if I cannot offer you more help this time. Post back any results you find.

Good Luck,
TomBartco
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
Small Engine Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quotes:
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
"Drive Safely. The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 08-30-04, 06:46 PM
mpavkov
Visiting Guest
What about the breather ?

I had the same problem with my B&S Vanguard 16HP. I mowed the lawn with it once too often before getting it repaired. I lost all 48 oz. of oil in about 45 minutes. I filled it right before I mowed. Now the engine block is cracked and it won't start. I am looking at a replacement engine or a rebuild now.

Old 08-31-04, 03:29 PM
Hello Robertk

Being an 11 horse, I doubt you have any hydraulics on this machine. If the leak appears to be near the muffler, I'd say it is your sump gasket that is bad. You didn't provide specific engine ID #'s, but there are a few model years on Briggs engines where the sump bolts would back out of the crankcase, thereby causing leakage. In this case you will want to replace the gasket as well as the sump bolts. Post back with the numbers off the engine and we'll be able to help you better.

Old 09-01-04, 12:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Puey,

This thread is over 4 years old, lol!!!! I guess mpavkov might have found it by using a search engine with keywords that just happened to match with this old thread and pulled it up out of the archives. It's amazing that this post still even exists.

Old 10-02-04, 04:37 AM
seldomseen
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by puey61
Being an 11 horse, I doubt you have any hydraulics on this machine. If the leak appears to be near the muffler, I'd say it is your sump gasket that is bad. You didn't provide specific engine ID #'s, but there are a few model years on Briggs engines where the sump bolts would back out of the crankcase, thereby causing leakage. In this case you will want to replace the gasket as well as the sump bolts. Post back with the numbers off the engine and we'll be able to help you better.

looks like i may have the same sump leak, is it easy to pull the sump off the bottom of the engine to replace the gasket?

Old 10-03-04, 02:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, pretty easy usually. You have to remove the engine, remove the pto pulley, and just take out the bolts around the sump. Pull the sump off, clean the old gasket off and replace, and reinstall the sump cover. Pay attention to the location of the governor though, to make sure it makes contact with the governor arm when reinstalling the sump cover.